Lazer Z HP- No power?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tynash, May 26, 2003.

1. tynash

tynash LawnSite Member

I have a 2001 Lazer Z HP with about 700 hours on it and I feel like it does not have the power it used to. I noticed it around the time that I had that exhaust upgrade on on the mower. Has anyone else had this problem?

Here is a couple of the problems I have been having:

1. Low power (at least is feels that way)
    2. Constant clumping of grass when I mow in semi thick grass, even when the grass is dry.
    3. Overall not cutting all the grass.
    4. Even when mowing at 1 MPH the grass clumps.

I have already tried different blade types and everything, but I have just not been happy with the cut quality over the past year.

I would greatly appreciate any help or feedback anyone may know about.

Thanks.

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Have you replaced fuel filter, ck hyd oil level, replaced hyd oil filter, replaced/cleaned air filter?

Mike

3. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

If the exhaust port is restricted even a little it will rob you of HP.

4. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure ALL the belts are tight. Just a little play in one and you will have very little power.

5. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I think he wants a little play in the belts. If your belts are too tight, they'd snap. I've always been told a little play is good. Am I wrong?

6. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

make sure that muffler isn't blocked inside somewhere.happened on my exmark metro.they made up a gasket that was to big.check to make sure you have it begged when your cutting.sometimes you need to adjust the carb or the throttle cable

7. taco

taco LawnSite Member

SOUNDS LIKE LOW RPM'S have em checked by someone with a clamp on tach ,it goes around spark plug wire , to adjust ,you take the cable clamps loose ,right there above the muffler and move accordingly , I turn the rpm's up by a couple of hundred the minute the warranty goes out they cool better and run better oil pressure , better to run a little higher rpm than to low rpm on an air cooled engine , if it's got a kawasaki motor ,you have to adjust the valves on them ,cause of solid lifters ,koghler got hydro lifters -no adjust. TACO,:cool:

8. taco

taco LawnSite Member

Lawn kid write "Need a little play ha-ha Kid Right ! every body need a little play !! on a serious note ..to much belt tension puts to much "side load " on a spindle bearing. Exmark deck have self tensioning deck belt .belts stretch and idlers wear out , if a belt moves in motion around a pulley or spindle on a mowing deck and it's "jumping around an inch and a half your .alright more than that it's going to jump off.....Taco

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

most any time u change the air intake ,its a good idea to have the carb readjusted to it. i open up my chainsaws exhaust and always have to readjust the carb. good luck ,doubt u have a seriouse problem.

10. tynash

tynash LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for all the help. Hopefully it is not too serious. I know if I have it checked out and can get it fixed, I will be much happier with it. I will try some of those fixes on my own.

Tyler:)