Lazer Z HP steering issue

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by qball98, May 7, 2003.

1. qball98

qball98 LawnSite Member

I have a Lazer Z HP that I have been having trouble with the steering on. When I first got it new about a year ago I thought it was just me not being use to how sensitive it is. I have tried adjusting the control levers by loosening to two bolts just below where you hold on to them at to try different angles and heights thinking maybe that would help. It has helped some but it is still really hard to make precise manuvers without being too jerky. Is there anything else I could try and adjust or look at too try and help this problem. I realy do like the machine other than this problem but it is getting too be so annoying I am thinking of trading it for something esle. If you don't have any suggestions I will probably trade it off because taking it too the dealer is not really an option since I will not set one foot inside the door of the closest dealer and I can not afford too take the time to go to the next nearest one which is about 90 miles away.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

qball98,

Thanks for the post. There are a couple of things I can suggest but when it comes to this type of problem you'll probably need to take it to the dealership.

First look for anything loose or binding in the hydro drive linkages. With machine off you'll want to lift the seat and work the linkages back and forth. This will probably require a second set of eyes. It doesn't look like there's a lot going on under there but for one reason or another it's easy to over look something. Make sure that the arm that attaches to the hydro pump isn't slipping on the pump shaft. I've seen a couple of these arms crack in the past 4 or 5 years and that could also cause similar symptoms to what you’re describing. After you run the unit for a little while shut it off and look into the reservoir cap to see if the fluid is clear or foamy. You may need a flashlight. Also make sure that the dampeners have a little play where they attach to the linkages but are super sloppy.

After that we may need to have the hydro pump tested or at least get it into the dealer for inspection. Generally we get pretty good marks on the smoothness of our controls so the dealer should be able to find the problem and correct it.

Good luck

Thanks

Terry

3. CBB

CBB LawnSite Member
    from MS/LA

qball,

Where in Ark are you located. There should be a dealer closer than 90 miles to you.

Just curious.

4. qball98

qball98 LawnSite Member

Thanks for your quick response. I checked the thing over really good today and all the linkages and dampeners appear ok. I think that because my problem is with both wheels that it will be something common too both systems. When I looked in the fluid reservoir there looked like there were a few small bubbles but I think that is normal in most systems like this. Then I got to wondering about the fluid level I know in the manual the give an example where when the fluid is at 150 F it should be half way between the cold and hot mark. Well I decided to check the temp. with my infrared heat gun and it said the fluid was at about 148 F. At this temp the level is almost at the top mark which the book says is for 225 F. I have never added any too it so I think it was overfilled at the dealer. Do you think this could cause the problems I am having and if so what would be the best way too reduce the level to the correct ammount.

Thanks

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

qball98,

Sorry, the fluid level you’re describing shouldn't be causing any issues. The air bubbles might however.

If you've got much air in the system at all the fluid in the components will mix the air and the oil together expanding the amount of fluid. It's sort of like adding dish soap to calm standing water. Nothing really happens. Now as you mix or stir the water you get bubbles and the sink fills up and it looks like you've got much more water/soap than you did before.

The air may not be your problem but you really should get it check out by a qualified technician. That's going to be the quickest and fastest way to get you back on track.

Thanks

Terry

6. qball98

qball98 LawnSite Member

In resonse to your reply I decided to try lowering the level anyway since there appeared too be nothing else wrong with the system I though it was worth a try. It just happend that when I checked the temp. this time it was at 73 deg. So I lowered the level down to the cold mark where the book says it should be at about 75 deg. I then went to work mowing at first I though well you were right it was no better. Then after about fifteen minutes I noticed that the motions were getting alot smoother and it was now acting more like I thought it should. This made a vast improvement in the controls but I have noticed that when I first start every day it is back too being jerky again then when it warms up it is fine. I think the high fluid level was causing my problems because it was either causing the baffling in the tank too be useless or it was keeping the fluid at too cold a temperature for it too function properly. Since the fluid is a multi viscosity fluid it changes with temperature just like the oil in a motor. I also think this helped with the few tinny bubbles in the fluid because now they are not there. This is the only thing I did to the machine so it had too be the problem. Thanks for your help it is nice too know you are here to bounce ideas off of.

7. qball98

qball98 LawnSite Member

Johnson county and the only dealers that are of any use are in Little Rock or Fayetville. There is one in Fort Smith but they are rude and never have any thing you need. If you don't own a bunch of equipment they don't care about you. Even when you are there to spend some serious money they don't seem too care unless you are a big company. When I needed a new mower I went in there because I wanted an exmark and they quoted me full retail price so I said well I will be paying cash for this don't I get any price break they said sorry don't matter. So I drove to Fayetville where they very nice and gave me a good deal and I went home with it that day. I takes about twice as long too get there but atleast they care.