1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lazer Z HP value?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brucec32, Jan 24, 2003.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Anyone want to venture a WAG at the value of this mower?

1998 Lazer Z HP 18hp Kohler 48" deck w/ mulching kit
    -new front wheels/tires, rear tires still have plenty of treadlife.
    -new belts
    -v. good cosmetically
    -runs good, no problem areas, all maintenance done
    -1050 hours
    -3 sets mulching blades, 3 sets regular blades

Just curious how they hold their value.
  2. $2800 to $3800 on the very high side.

Kepp in mind it's spent a good portion of it's service life already.
  3. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I was thinking about $2500. The 48" Z just isn't that popular. A 52" or 60" Z is standard. Also an 18HP is not a lot of HP for any Z.
  4. brucec32

Interesting, I'd come up with $2800 to $3200 myself. I'm keeping it as a backup and for fall leaf mulching anyway. With interest rates and investment opportunities so low, I don't see any huge costs to keeping it around. It'll be nice to have one mower set up for discharge and another for mulching.
  5. The 44" and 48" are the "standard" deck sizes for this HP, the 52" gets a different frame.
  6. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

LGF- I was commenting that the 52 and 60" models are more commonly seen around here. No that isn't what I said but I thought ya'll could read my mind.

Just wanted to clarify so I wouldn't fall under your whole deserving to suffer saying.
  7. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

To many hrs on that 18.-18hp,48"and mulching.my 17/48 w/b is weak enough.i think i'd look around for something with a few more ponies if i was goin to mow com. with it.:eek:
  8. brucec32

Actually I've used it for over 4 years now, and it's been just fine. I've only mulched with it for about 4 months, and on regularly maintained turf it handled it pretty good too, though I will be getting a 20 or 21 hp model hp to replace it. The more powerful engines come on mowers that are a little big for my lawns and hauling setup (portee-style on the back of a pickup with a folding ramp system...limits deck to 48" width). I have a trailer but hate dragging it around and use it only when I need extra equipment along. I don't mow any wide open rectangle type properties where you can mow faster than this unit can handle anyway.

There are almost no used Z units for sale here except dealer demos, and they're practically full price.

What is the expected life range of a Lazer with a non-diesel engine like this?
  9. About 3500 hours, would be my guess on an avg.