1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lazer Z HP vs Lazer Z

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by weaver_b, Jan 9, 2003.

1. weaver_b

weaver_b LawnSite Member

I'm looking at buying a Lazer Z 52" with 27hp Kohler, or the
    Lazer Z HP 52" with 23hp Kohler. Will the LHP hold a hill
    as good as the Lazer Z? Are the Drive wheels the same distance
    apart on both models? Are there any differences between the two that would affect how well they hold a hill?

Is the 23hp enough power for the 52" LHP?

Is the LHP as durable as the Lazer Z?

I see on the Exmark web page that the LHP 52" deck only has
    5 anti-scalp wheels? Did they leave off the wheel located
    on the front discharge side? Is this an issue?

Any opinions between the ultracut deck on the Lazer Z and the trivantage deck on the LHP?

Any other thoughts or opinions between the LHP and Lazer Z?

Is the Lazer Z worth the additional money (~$700-1000)?

I'll be cutting both residential and commercial properties.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Thanks for the post.

The Lazer HP does have a narrower track width however it also does not carry as much weight as high in the chassis as the full size Lazer Z. This makes the two machines very comparable on hills. You would however need to demo each one to make your own determination.

Is 23 hp enough? How much is enough. The 23's will really handle about as much as the LHP deck can give them. The full size Z does get the benefit of the UltraCut deck which can process a little more grass at a little higher speed which increases the need for a little more power. Even at that you’re probably talking about very large properties running as close to wide open as possible. The LHP will cut these same properties but at a slightly slower ground speed.

Both machines should be very similar in terms of durability and we don't see any increases in failures from one machine to the next. Both are excellent choices.

The Lazer HP doesn't require and anti-scalp wheel on the RH front corner due to the proximity of the deck to the front caster wheel. The front caster wheel is mounted close enough to the deck that any rise in the lawn severe enough to cause a scalp after the front caster has passed probably would have been caused problems even with an anti-scalp roller. You really should not see an issue.

The choice really comes down to personal preference. The LHP is a little more compact and has smaller tires. It looks smaller in from all angles and is less intimidating to some of your customers and operators. It trims better than the full size 52" because it has more deck overhang on the trim side.

The full-size 52" however has a deeper deck and can cut at a little higher speeds, is available with more power and the operator sits a little higher which may or may not allow you to see hidden obstacles a little better.

My recommendation is to demo both machines and decide for yourself. Personally I'm a huge fan of the 52" LHP just because of the way it trims on small properties. If I were cutting a lot of large commercial properties where I could use a little more speed I'd lean toward the full size Z.

3. weaver_b

weaver_b LawnSite Member

Why is there such a big price difference?

How much more are the drives tires spaced apart on the Lazer Z vs the LHP?

Is the front/rear weight distribution the same on both models?

Which is less likely to cause ruts?

What are the advantages or disadvantages when comparing
    the Vertical shaft engine to the horizontal shaft engine with
    the mule drive system?

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

The biggest reason for the price difference is features and the different materials and components. The full Lazer Z uses a serpentine belt to run the hydros, two belts to run the deck, square tubing in the engine deck rather than fabricated sheet steel and the mower deck is constructed differently. In addition the Lazer Z uses a horizontal shaft rather than a vertical shaft engine. The full Laze Z also has taller rear tires and taller/wider front caster tires. All of these add up to a lot more that the price difference might reflect depending upon what features you are looking for. It all comes down to personal preference.

Both machines perform their duties very well; they just go about it differently. The full size 52 really sells well in areas the added power of a 25, 26 or 27 hp engine may be utilized on a 52" deck. They are also popular with many of the landscapers that are using the 60" and the 72" machines due to the similarities in design. Some people are just more comfortable with what they already know.

The rear wheel spacing on the LHP is about 1.25" narrower than the Lazer Z is. This gives about 3.5" of deck overhang when the deck is offset to the trim side.

As far as vertical vs. horizontal shaft engines there's not a great deal of difference today. In years past I would probably give the advantage in torque, power, reliability and performance to the horizontal engines. Today it's pretty even from what we can see. Any advantages or disadvantages really come down to engine manufacturer's support after the sale. The mule drive vs. the single belt does not really offer any advantage or disadvantage of one over the other. If I had to choose though I'd probably give the edge to the mule drive belt.

The mule drive system uses two belts and two spring-loaded idlers. That means that all of the shock load when you engage or disengage the blades or when you move from short grass to tall grass is distributed through two spring loaded idlers and two belts. Kinda splitting hairs but any difference really isn't going to be very significant. Think of if like your holding onto a rope with someone giving an abrupt tug on the other end. If you hold on with one hand your one hand and one arm absorbs the load. If you’re hanging on with two hands both arms absorb the load. Both work fine with out failure but one is just a little less stressed. Now if you hit something really big with the mower then things can change, but when that happens you've probably got more important things to look at than the belt.

On the flip side there is a lot to be said for keeping thing simple and that's where the single belt comes in and can be perceived as an advantage over the mule drive set up. It really comes down to preference and what you feel comfortable with. We just don't see a significant difference in failures between the two systems.

It really comes down to which one you prefer, which one you feel comfortable with and which one you feel is the most bang for your buck. The key is to demo them both and decide for yourself.

5. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking at getting the Lazer HP 52" with 23 Kawi this spring. It is replacing my 2002 Dixie Chopper which WILL NOT hold a hill, much less a slope.

When I demo'd the HP I had a smile a mile wide. It made mowing fun again, or less like work. And everything the Dixie would slide out on, it took with ease, would stop and reverse. The Dixie would not even go slow on these, just skid skid skid.

HP with the 23 Kawi seems really good, especially the torque. It felt like the HP has more power than my Dixie with a 26 HP EFI Kohler.

I also like the fact I can have 1 size blades for my machines. I have the TTHP 36" and it uses 2 18" blades where the HP uses the same 18" but 3. You can add a mulch kit, and I will add the Ultra Vac to have an awesome leave removal machine, but a small machine for the smaller properties I have as well.

Either way you cannot go wrong, just depends on what your using it for. The HP is the machine for me and what I need, but later on if I get more larger properties then I will get a full size lazer as well.

Just remember if you get a full size Lazer with a 52" deck you will not have much or any trim side because of the width of the machine and tires. If this is important for you get the Lazer HP 52". It has 6" or so trim on the deck, enough to get right against a fence line and not worry about rubbing it with the tires.

Go and demo both side by side and on your properties. You will never know much difference are between the 2 machines until you get them where YOU work. I hope you make a good decision.
  6. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks eXmark, this is why I love this place. I had no reason to read this post, but I did. By reading this post I am even more assured that my eXmark purchase was a good one. Where else can you get an answer as detailed as this one is. I learned things and had no intention to do so. Thanks
  7. weaver_b

weaver_b LawnSite Member

Thanks for your reply.
    Why did you choose the 23 Kawi vs the 23 Kohler?

Does anyone else have any opinions between the Kawi and Kohler engines? Tell me the good and the bad.
  8. Remo Sid

Remo Sid LawnSite Member
    from USA

I have both types . My experience with these two mowers is like the difference between daylight, and dark. The HP can't begin to hold on hills like the Z. The cut quality isn't as good. The operator isn't as comfortable in the seat. Don't get me wrong...the HP is a very excellent mower...the Z is a very, very, very excellent mower.
  9. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the Turf Tracer 36" with the 15 Kawi this whole season and it was bullet proof. I have heard some horror stories with some of the Kohlers, not saying they are bad motors. I just like the Kawi much better.
  10. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

I have an HP with the 23 Kaw. and it has been great so far. I only have a like 130 hours on it but the power is awesome and I love the unit. I feel much more stable on it than on other machines such as Dixie Choppers that I have demoed. So, just another great customer testimony encouraging you to buy EXMARK!!:D :D