Lazer Z hp wire harness plug on clutch?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rambo13, Sep 18, 2004.

1. rambo13

rambo13 LawnSite Member

Hi Everyone,
    I just bought a 2002 Lazer Z hp 52cut kawasaki 23hp
    Question, the wire that plugs into the clutch (PTO). I would like to replace it with a new one. The old harness was corroded where it connects to the wire harness.
    Do you have to take the clutch out to replace wire plug or just unplug and plug new one.
    Don't have manual, and I don't want to damage the clutch. So does anyone know on how to replace wire connector to the clutch. I know that the connector has a plastic locking mechanism on it.
    Thank you very much for any information. Rambo13

2. mikemerritt

mikemerritt LawnSite Member
    from MS

The plastic plug on the two wires coming from the clutch is removable. You should be able to release the brass clips in the plug with a sharp pointed tool of some sort, I use a woodworking awl. This will let you replace the plastic part but the brass connectors on the end of the clutch wires may have to be soldered or crimped on if they need to be replaced. The same would go for the harness side.

Whether or not this can be done with the clutch on will depend on the position and length of the wires.

Mike

3. rambo13

rambo13 LawnSite Member

Hi Mike,

(release the brass clips in the plug) I've took a picture of the new part of the harness that connects to the clutch. The spot where all this connects is in a very hard to postion area (very Tight), if there some kind of way to easly remove this plug. I tried to see these brass clips, but dont see no brass.
    Thank you Mike for any info. Rambo13

connector 1.JPG

4. mikemerritt

mikemerritt LawnSite Member
    from MS

Thats a bit different than I usually see and I can see that the terminals are not brass. You should be able to use a small screwdriver or awl to remove the plastic part of the plug. Looking at your pic if you run the awl into the area that is U shaped it should press part of the terminal down and that will cause the end terminal to release. If you do this for both wires the plastic should slide right off. To recap, the wire end termial is made in a way that when pushed into the plastic plug it will lock when its all the way in.

This is hard to explain but when you get one released you will see how easy it is.

Mike

5. rambo13

rambo13 LawnSite Member

Hi Mike,
    Thank you for your help.
    But the problem I have is the location of this plug, its in a place where you can't see it, and I can't see the plug side that has the part that releases the plug. I tried with a mirror no luck and tried feeling the plug with my fingers no luck.
    I will try tommorrow. Thank you again. Rambo13

6. rambo13

rambo13 LawnSite Member

Hi Mike,
    I looked at it with a mirror this morning, and it doesnt look like the cable the dealer gave me. But I did take a picture and it looks like this below so maybe your right about the brass clip. still dont know how to unplug??????
    rambo13

plug 1.JPG

7. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Rambo that part doesn't come out of the clutch. There is a plug further up the wire. The wire out of the clutch is about 8 or 10 inches long. If you need to replace the connector, I have used a GM alternator extension and soldered it in place of the orgional plug. The only problem with that is if you ever replace the clutch you have to change the clutch plug.

8. rambo13

rambo13 LawnSite Member

Hi Ducky,
    Thanks for the input. I see that now. Because I tried to unplug it, but it just wont budge. I said to myself how hard can this be... Especially when I work on robots for a living...
    So I rebuilt the harness and cable tied it nice and tight.
    Thanks to everyone who helped me out...
    I love this forum about lawn equipnment.
    Rambo13