Lazer Z Hydro Problem?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Polobbie, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Polobbie

Polobbie LawnSite Member

Can someone suggest potential source of problem and solution for left hydro drive system exhibiting less power than the right? I keep finding myself relying more on my right lever control whenever I need extra power to drive up an incline. The right drive also seems far more responsive to my lever movements. Thanks,

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Polobbie,

Your best bet to resolve your issue is to call our Customer Service Department. Their number is 1-800-667-5296. In the mean time, you can make sure that the tracking is in adjustment. Refer to your owner's manual if you have any questions about adjusting the tracking.

Later,
    Casey

3. eXmark

Not sure if you've called us or not, I'm trying to get caught up on some of the posts that Mr. Casey has forwarded to the Service Dept.

I would check the easy stuff first; tracking/neutral adjustment, belt & belt tension, is it time for a hyd filter change?

Neutral adjustment: I usually tell guys to set this so both tires barely creep to the rear. This eliminates possible tracking issues due to dead pan in the neutral (one tire about to turn forward, the other rearward).

Tracking: Try adjusting the tracking, keep in mind that tire pressure/circumference can be the biggest tracking error culprit.

Belt & belt tension: Lazer hydro belts if cared for can last the life of the unit, but a sticky idler can reduce that life quickly. If your machine has the original bushing and spacer instead of the newer spherical idler bearings, then it should be greased weekly. In addition it should be greased under no load at least monthly.

Hydro filter that has gone over it's service interval (typically 1 season), can also cause issues by restricting the flow of oil to the charge pump. It usually won't act the same on each pump due to several reasons, probably most notable is difference in charge pump line hose length.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Lenny

4. CutApproved

CutApproved LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Hey Lenny, what about the dampers (those little shock things) I had a buddy have one of his go on him,, wasn't a pretty site.
    The above situation is simular to mine except my left side is stronger.
    I've also noticed recently that my right handle bar is flimzy,, or looser than the right side.. Wouldn't this be caused by a bad damper?

Heres some more info - when the bars are in the middle and I move the left/right handle bars forward or reverse, the right side has more play to it.

LMK,,
    thanks
    John

5. Polobbie

Polobbie LawnSite Member

Thanks Lenny,

I have not called Exmark yet, but I have done some of what you advised. The tire air pressure was fine. The tracking adjustment has been able to compensate for the power difference between my left and right control, but this is masking the underlying problem. The other day I tested the power in reverse which confirmed a big difference between left and right power. The left control jumps with power and speed spinning the Lazer quickly whereas the right in full reverse delivers a steady slow reverse motion. I will be changing out the filter and associated hydro fluid this weekend to see if anything improves.

6. gruberlawncare

gruberlawncare LawnSite Member

Hey my 60in 30hp had a hair line crack in the hose from the pump. my service center tried to figure it out 3times till finally they found the crack in the fitting which let air into the system.

7. CutApproved

CutApproved LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Polobbie - I have the same exact problem. DEFINATELY notice a power differance when in reverse,, kinda p.i.t.a.
    I honestly can't see how changing the fluid is going to fix it. What I mentioned above seems to be more of the problem and thats buying new dampers (shocks) for the controls. My right handle bar has a lot more play in it. I'll let you all know when they arrive and I install them.
    I'm not saying I'm not going to change my fluid but I can't see that being a big problem with this kind of power loss between the two sides. JMO.

8. Polobbie

Polobbie LawnSite Member

O.K. A little more info to consider. First of all, it is actually my right hydro that is exhibiting weakness relative to the left. I was not thinking clearly when I posted my initial message. I have now checked tire pressure, checked for fluid leaks, replaced the hydro filter and associated fluid, adjusted the hydro linkages on both the left and right side, and checked the reverse spring adjustments. I still have the problem. Two possible clues to chew on are the following:

1. When I jacked up to machine to adjust the hydro linkages, the right tire would not begin to react as the control lever was pulled back until about half way into its rear travel distance behind neutral. Adjusting the tracking knob to achieve the slow rear creep did not affect this condition. In comparison, the left tire would immediately react as the control lever was pulled back from the neutral position. More control lever travel was also required in the forward direction as compared to the left.

2. After adjusting the right hydro linkage to achieve a slow rear creep, the creap would not sustain itself. In other words, the tire would slowly slow down to a full stop. Even as I adjusted the tracking knob for a faster and faster rear creep to prevent it from stopping, the tire would always slow down to a full stop after anywhere from 10 to 60 seconds depending on how fast the rear creep adjustment was. I did not try adjusting the knob up to anything more than what I would consider a fast rear creep.

I hope this might help shed light on the source of the problem. Any further ideas?

Thanks,

9. eXmark

Polobbie,

#2 Were you doing this with the handles in the neutral lock (out in the 't' slots) or just in the neutral position? If just in the neutral position, I would expect this to happen. The pumps will want to go to neutral, so they can actually move the handles if they're not locked into place. If they were in the 't' slots, this would lead me to believe that something in the linkage is loose. This would also make sense where you said that once you have the tracking fine, it then is very hesitant in reverse.

10. eXmark

Cut Approved,

Failed damper will allow that side to have more freedom of movement. It shouldn't however affect the 'power' of the drive system.

Unserviced hydro filter can make a HUGE difference in the drive of the machine, and will tend to affect one side more than the other.

Let me know how the new dampers work.

Thanks,
    Lenny