Lazer Z on hills and ditches

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bob's Services LLC, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Bob's Services LLC

Bob's Services LLC LawnSite Member

Looking at a new Lazer Z. I've only used ones with a pivoting front axle, how do they perform in ditches and on mounds with the solid front end? The dealer says they work better than pivot front axles, but I would think the deck can't follow the slopes as well.

Thanks for the help!!!

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

They work OK, but a Lazer isn't my favorite tool for ditches or hills.

3. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I would use the lazer over others on the hill sides. The biggest issue you will face is the deck being to wide in the bottom of ditches. but then pretty much that is a problem that all larger decks on all zer turn mowers will have. I can tell you from first had experience that the lazer with its heavier weirght does well but do not get in a hurry.

4. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

I've been on some really steep banks with my 72" Exmark-it would stick like glue. The deck was offset 11" to the left so hanging it into a ditch was great without having to have your drivewheels in the ditch. My 60" did a great job also. I bought a 46" Exmark recently and it won't stick to asphalt. I've been really disappointed with it in that department-I cut a lot of steep banks and ditches. I'm not sure what I'm going to do because it's now my only mower besides my tractor. I would recommend the larger Exmarks.

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

My 27 hp 60" Lazer is only fair on hills. Even backing up on uneven ground sometimes leads to wheel spin. I probably wouldn't notice except for the fact I'm on a Turf Tiger most of the time and it is superior on hills compared to my Lazer. I'd give the Lazer a 6 and the Turf Tiger a 9. Just my honest opinion, I own both so I have no reason to play favorites. My Super Z also held hills very well, while I had a small 220 Grasshopper that scared the heck out of me several times.