Lazer Z or hp?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Shady Brook, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I am looking at the Lazer, and the Lazer hp currently. I have concerns about blowout. I have this on my 48 walkbehind with Trivantage deck. I know the Trivantage comes on the hp, and wonder how it stacks up to the ultracut deck. Do they side discharge about the same, or is one superior, and is there the same amout of blowout with each deck, or is blowout minimized by the ultracut deck?

I really like the way the Trivantage disperses the clippings, I just wish I did not have to wear half the junk because it comes out the front of the deck.:)

Thanks a bunch
    Jay

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Shady,

Each machine has advantages and disadvantages. Think of the UltraCut as a modified TriVantage. The decks are very similar in design but the UltraCut is 1/2 deeper, which can improve the airflow and performance. Most will tell you the UltraCut deck does leave a better cut whether side discharging, bagging or mulching.

If you compare the 52" Lazer to the 52" Lazer HP (this is the only cutting width that is available in both deck designs) you'll find that although the Lazer may mulch a little better in some conditions or discharge better or bag better the Lazer HP trims a little better because it has more deck offset.

My suggestion would be to focus on which machine fits your needs rather than which deck you would prefer. Personally I prefer the Lazer HP because of its ability to trim closer to objects. A couple of the guys here however prefer the 52" Lazer because of its ability to mulch a little better in taller wetter grass. It really comes down to what your going to do with the machine and which package your prefer.

Thanks

Terry

3. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I was in your position last fall. Ended up going with a Lazer Z HP 52"/23hp Kaw. It's been a great machine. It has plently of power and will leave a good cut even through quite tall grass. In the fall we mulch the leaves on all of our properties. With the mulch kit on, the leaves literally turn to dust. I demoed the Lazer Z 60" w/ 25 Koh, and didn't think it had the power, or the cutting ability of the HP 52"/ 23 Kaw. One reccomendation I would give you is get the most horsepower you can afford. You will never regret having too much power.

4. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Thanks for the very informative post Terry, and your input Esby.

What about blowout? Do you experience much blowout with the hp trivantage deck? Should I expect the ultracut to have lessoned blowout do to the modifications?

I think if I go with a full Lazer it will be the 60 for various reasons. The 52 I am leading toward the hp, seems everyone likes them very much.

Esby, do you have any oak's up there? I wonder how the multch kit works on oak leaves.

Thanks again

Jay

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Shady,

As far as blow out goes, I probably get fewer complaints on the 52" than I do anything. Truthfully all decks will exhibit some degree of blow out in certain conditions. Generally that means drier conditions or areas with little vegetation. The 52" should generate significantly less blowout depending upon the conditions.

Generally blow out can be reduced by changing blade types, changing cutting heights or by re-adjusting the deck.

Thanks

Terry