LAZER Z Owners: Mule Drive Belt tip!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SLS, May 6, 2002.

1. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

It's been pouring rain all week and you are behind schedule. You are soaking wet and it's the last lawn for saturday night and if only you can get those last 5 lawns tomorrow......sigh... you'll be back on track.....

You tap the PTO button and...NOTHING! "Oh $#!%, the mule drive belt has broken! ARRGGHHHH!!! Tomorrows sunday-the dealers are closed (and/or a million miles away)...so now most of monday is shot too! :cry:

You spend phone time sunday morning calling all the auto parts stores that are open...only to be laughed at when you ask them if they stock a V-Belt that is 5/8x111 inches..........ARRGGHHHH!!! again...

What's a poor fellow to do???

Answer:

Go to Home Depot! :D

Yep, that's right. They carry the famous Scott's mowers that are built by John Deere and the deck belt for the Scotts S1642 and S1742 riding tractors are a 5/8ths V-Belt that are actually John Deere #M110313. These belts are the 'canvas-colored' type of belt and have the white threads in them...very strong and durable! They had 4 of them in stock and they were $18. They are only about 3/4 of an inch shorter than the factory Exmark mule drive belt but with the spring loaded mule pulley the 3/4 inch difference doesn't matter....there is PLENTY of adjustment. One thing is for sure...it "saved my bacon" today...and tomorrow too.

Tuesday I'll pop by my Exmark dealer and grab another one (I'll keep the JD belt as an 'emergency' belt) but this discovery saved me from losing TWO DAYS of mowing that I desperately needed in order to get my schedule back together.

BTW: I bought rain gear last wednesday...no stopping for rain anymore. It's supposed to start again tomorrow. :(

I hope this helps someone who finds themselves "in a pinch" like I was last night.

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Be prepared for the $$ for a new one at the eXmark dealer. These belts aren't cheap.

3. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Another very good reason to always own backup equipment! I have had equipment go down on me on Sunday. I just switch to my backup to get by until monday and then it's off to my dealer. Good tip about the belt also, thanks.

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

thanks for the tip.

5. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

Good tip. I was in the same boat as you this saturday ( almost literally ). Playing catch up with the rain. Noticed that it wasn't raining on Sat morning here in Nashvegas so I proceded to mow in total soup! Gottem done though, glad to see you did, too. I can't imagine the look you must have had on your face when you lost the belt! It was already a heck of a day for mowing for sure in these parts.

Now , here comes the heat.

6. I found lotd of belts from auto parts stores to fit my mowers.

But as push came to shove, I leaned more to having backup belts to save the trouble.

7. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I forgot to mention that this is a 60" Ultra-Cut deck (23 Kaw)...if it makes any difference. The belt is 111" long.

Yes, backup equipment is great. I had to finish that job on my Scotts/JD 42" tractor..yow!!! It gets used for an "emergency tow vehicle" (every muscled a Lazer from a ditch?). Thankfully I had sharpened the blades and adjusted the deck this spring. That grass was about 8" tall and sopping wet...and she cut it nicely...in two VERY SLOW passes. Whew! I hated the thought of two days of bumping and poking along in tall, wet grass.... murdering my stripe patterns. :eek:

I'll be getting a Turf Tracer HP in a couple of weeks...I wish I had it saturday night. :D