Lazer Z Struts

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Jackman, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

Terry

Has Exmark improved or plan to improve the deck struts on the ZTR ? I ask because mine wore out quickly lots of play in the deck. I would think that since they are bound to get splashed by water and at times mud that Exmark would have made them a sealed bearing for longer life...

Thanks Jack

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Jack,

We are aware of what your talking about. Water is probably less of an issue that you might imagine on this one. The real bandits are dirt working into the area causing some abrasion and side impacts to the deck.

Often what you'll see is that the pin and pivot are not always that worn. Often they look worse than they are. You will see that the mounting tabs on the back of the deck will "flair" out or spread a little. The "flaring" at the tabs is probably more responsible for the side to side play than the wear at the pin. If you replace the strut and the pin you can eliminate much of the play however simply adjusting the mounting tabs back in a little will eliminate more. I've seen guys add a thin washer as a shim between the strut arm and the tab as well or replace the pin with a long bolt and a nyloc nut. All of these will greatly help but none are the ultimate solution. I'll pass it along to engineering again to look at (they may already be looking).

The good news is that this side to side play has little if any effect on the cut quality or performance of the machine........but it would be nice to get rid of it.

Thanks

Terry

3. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

Terry

Thanks for the tip Ill be trying the long bolt with lock nut, I took my struts apart today and was suprised how good they look the wear is minimal just a slight groove on the inner side of the pin and a slightly flaired hole also on the inner side mounting tab. The outer tabs and struts have no wear however the deck side play is around an 1 1/2 inchs too much imop. Not to sound like a no it all but the problem seems obvious to me the inner tabs are wearing because theyre too thin and putting too much stress on the pin which in turn creates the groove on the pin and flaired inner tab which leads to the sloppy side play. The solution how about replace the inner and outter tabs with a 1 1/2 - 2 inch sleeve (like the strut) and then cut the with of the strut down to compensate for the larger end pieces...... Just thought I d pass my oppenion on the subject .....

Thanks Jack

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Jack,

All good points I'll pass it along.

Terry