1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lazer z vs. dixie choppers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EHesseyLawns, Mar 21, 2003.

1. EHesseyLawns

EHesseyLawns LawnSite Member

just a question for all you out there. do you prefer the exmark lazer z over the dixie chopper or dixie over ex? has anyone switched from dixie to ex or ex to dixie? what are the negatives about the dixie's? i havent really heard many? i've used a dixie quite a bit but problems were very minimal. let me know what you guys think! thanks
  2. Shannon Phillips

Shannon Phillips LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I started out last year with a dixie xw2203, great machine, cut anything I could ask of it. Reliability was great and so was the speed. I demoed an exmark lq 27 - 60 and it was a tad slower but cut better and striped SO MUCH BETTER. Also one big thing, it was easier not to tear up the grass with the exmark. Only words of wisdom are DEMO DEMO DEMO. I am selling my exmarks this monday, and I still am not sure on what I will replace it with. Good luck, Shannon
  3. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek LawnSite Senior Member
    from u s a

Dixie Chopper fast , great cut , light levers , greasable spindles ,
    built tuff , Slides bad going down hills foward , especially if they angle slightly to one side , almost dangerous . Tires leave marks on thin lawns , Dixie has no nationwide warranty program .
    Meaning if you did not buy it from the dealer you take it to for warranty work , and the dealer dont want to fix it , Dixie will tell you he can do that . I have one Dixie 60 inch and just orderd a 72
    xt 3000 just for one large flat job .
    Exmark , Have nationwide warranty program , meaning you can take it to any Exmark dealer and he will fix it , they will take care of their regular customers first though , that is accodring to Dustin Schwab at Exmark .Cuts great , more stable on hills and
    does'nt leave tire marks as bad , I have never owned one , I base this on what others have said . Exmark is slightly slower , won't tow as much .
    I'm gonna trade or sell my 60 inch and buy an Exmark
  4. LeoS818

LeoS818 LawnSite Member

We switched from Dixie xw2500s to Exmarks 72 inch 27hp water cooled machines. Wish we had done it a few years earlier.
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Switched from a '97 60" Dixie Flatlander to a '01 60" Exmark LC Lazer. There is really no comparison. Although DC has improved over the years, I still have some issues with their design. Exmark has been building the best ZTR out there since 1998 or so.

One thing that I really miss on the Lazer that the DC had..... SPEED! My Flatlander was a 15mph screamer! :eek:

They both make very capable machines. Take BOTH for a short demo. Doesn't have to be at your property, just tool around the back 40 at the dealer. Pay special attention to how they feel on hills, and your trim side deck to tire overhang.

P.S. I'll take greasless spindles anyday over the DC ones!
  6. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

If the Ex spindles are "greaseless" then how long do the bearings last when run dry? Are they an "oil bath" design? Sorry man I just don't see the advantage in the long haul.:rolleyes:
  7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

They are a sealed ball bearing, both sides of it are shielded to keep the grease that is in it in and the contaminents out. The grease they use is a high temp synthetic, I believe. Just a comparison...I have a 1997 Exmark Metro 36" that has had, spindles and more bearings replaced than I can count. It was the greasable type :( My 1999 Yazoo/Kees ZTMax 61" just had it's first problem with bearings on one spindle. It was the sealed type! I was happy to see my new Lazer have sealed bearings.
  8. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

Exmarks sealed spindles = bad design. Exmark makes them knowing that they are setting a life on them (around 2 yrs). By the way I had an Exmark rep tell me this. It is not that bad but if you could grease them yourself it helps. I have own both and do prefer the greasable spindle myself.
  9. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

I am not a Scag fan but they have the best spindle design out on the market.
  10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The only thing that greasable spindles are good for is the morning ritual of messing around with the grease gun! I'll take that 5 min every morning and spend it on 100 things more usefull!

Greasable spindles allow contaminants to be introduced into an otherwise sealed environment.

I've had both, and my Lazer is the first with greasless spindles.