Lazer Z vs HP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bassman, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

This subject may be getting worn out but here goes. I am looking at the 2003 models of Lazers. Specifically, the 52" deck. I am undecided between the HP w/23 Koh. or the full size Z w/27 Koh. Both feel and handle great. I have mostly residential properties 1/4 & 1/2 acre. I do have some slopes,(canal banks), and tight planter areas, however, I've managed them alright with my current mower which is the full size Z, 52". I know the deck depth on the HP is 1" less than the Z. Don't know if it mulches any different. If all things are equal, guess going to more power makes sense. Any opinions.

2. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 23 hp. Kaw. HP if you decide to get the HP go with the Kaw. I have heard more than one person on the net say that for some reason the Kaw. does better mulching. I have had great performance out of mine so far and it should make you lots of money if you buy it.

3. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the reply Bill. I believe I'm going with the full size 52" Z. I don't think I'm going to go wrong either way. I did tell the dealer I want the full suspension seat. I sat in one today and it is much more comfortable than the standard seat and has the tension adjustment. I'll also be sitting lower in the saddle so to speak and I like that. It's $475.00 but if I get it with a new mower will get a $200 allowance for the std. seat making it $275. When I think about all the hours spent sitting on the mower over the next few years, $275 doesn't sound too bad for the added comfort level.

4. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

Those seats are awesome. I wish that I had the extra cash to buy one. I will try to do that this next spring. I hope you love your Exmark and like you say you cant go wrong with it.

5. weaver_b

weaver_b LawnSite Member

Bassman,
    Did you get the Lazer 52 27? How do you like it? Was the seat worth the money?

I'm also looking at the Lazer 52 full size and the LHP 52.

What made you decide to go with the full size Lazer?

6. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

I will be purchasing one of these machines, right now running a Toro 153 w/SFS 52" -- good machine but I would like to try the EXMARK (different deck design) my only concern is the side hill holding ability of the full size Z with the smaller drive tires (that come with the 52" deck) and extra 4.5" of mower height.
    Got to demo both before I plop down the bucks..

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

HP has some awesome hill holding ability. :cool:

8. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I am supposed to pick up my new Lazer HP 52" today.

My question is this: Why get a full size Lazer with only a 52" deck? You will have virtually no trim capacity because of the width of the machine. The 60" would be much better, and allow good trim capacity.
    Or the HP with 52" deck, which gives plenty of trim capacity as well.

I agree with Hoss, being able to stick on slopes or hills is awesome with the HP.

Just my thoughts! :)

9. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

What makes the Z attractive is the new 27hp motor, my common sence says 'stick with what works (for me)' also all the JRCO stuff that fits on my TORO 153 will also fit the HP (tine rake & electric spreader).. gee answering my own concerns..

10. Markus

Markus LawnSite Member

For 13yrs now ive been a Toro and Scag fellow, After reading this post i called up our local exmark dealer for some prices, He quoted me 6699 plus tax on the 52HP kaw,,a 03 permotional sell for 16more days, then the price would jump to 7399. Thats pretty darn cheap, think i go demo one and maybe unload my Tiger.Hoss your always saying all positive things about yours, and you seem to have integrity,Ive been on this site now since 01-06-00 and the exmarks are the top dog, so im going to try one.....Marks Mowing Service