Lazer Z Water or Air Cooled?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by voetsek, Dec 12, 2005.

1. voetsek

voetsek LawnSite Member

I purchased a trailer from a landscaping company that was going out of business last week. His prices were so good that I bought both his Lazer Z's also with the intention of keeping one for a present for my wife for mowing our lawn and donating the other to a local land trust that we volunteer for. My question right now is which one should I keep and which one should I donate?

The first is a LZ22LKA604, serial # 206572 & reading 2123 hours. This has the Kawasaki 22 HP water cooled engine.

The second is a LZ23KC604, serial # 397279 & reading 1177 hours. This machine has the 23 HP air cooled Kohler engine.

I figure that the water cooled will run longer because of the nature of water cooled machines and it's not "cold blooded" like the air cooled. Plus it's quieter too. Problem is that It has almost double the hours & it's older.

They both have the 60" decks, so that's not a factor. I just don't have that much information on maintenance & reliability after 2000 hours. Plus since it will be for personal use, it will not get that much time on it every year.

Any insight (year, warranty history, reliability) or opinions on said machines would be appreciated.

-Richard

2. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Big bawler!!! What did you pay for them? I would keep the one w/ less hours. I have no experience w/ water-cooled, but when I was in the market my dealer said I would be better off w/ air cooled. Kohler makes a great engine.

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Keep the air cooled unit for yourself. Newer and a lot less hours plus the Kohlers are great engines and it will last you a long time. The water cooled unit is getting on up in hours and the machine could start to having a few minor things start to happen to the unit. I'd say the water cooled engine would run that many more hours if not longer with regular maintenance.

4. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

All the liquid lazers I've had have been nothing but trouble since day one. From now on its air cooled only. The air are just less maintance and less headache. Stick with the air, if you're just cutting your lawn with it I wouldn't worry about the air cooled overheating and the wife or anybody not shutting it down in time. But with the liquid you'll have to do just that. Keep the air cooled!

5. voetsek

voetsek LawnSite Member

6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Wow $1500 each?? What a deal!

7. voetsek

voetsek LawnSite Member

That would be why I bought both of them. The second will make a nifty tax deduction. We've been looking at ZTR's, but they are prohibitively expensive to get a good model usually. This was pretty attractive price wise. Even the newer low end ZTR's have a hard time competing with that price. The ones I have seen under 3 (in a professional category) are usually pretty beat and really high hours.

8. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

I'm real happy with my air-cooled mowers. Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing the liquid, it's just everyone I owned had constant line leaks and other internal leaks. Now the liquid cooled disel one I got for a loaner one time was the cats ass!! I may be buying one of them for the bigger acreage accounts we do.

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The liquid cooled engine is rated for 3500-5000 hors depending on how the unit was maintained. But they do cost more $ to maintain. And for what ever reason, you have to worry a lot about them overheating. (more than air cooled from what my dealer tells me) I would keep the air cooled unit becuase of the lower hours and you not have much maitnence experince with this type of equipment.

10. ACut AboveLandscapin

ACut AboveLandscapin LawnSite Member

At that price sound stolen to me. Ha Ha