1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lazer Z wont start still

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by ripple, Apr 6, 2006.

1. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

Long story short my Lazer Z 44" 17 hp kw with 185 hours that I bought 6 weeks ago is dead again. This is the third post here about this issue. The dealer came the first time and put in new relay. Second time they did nothing but it did start. Now today it wont start again. I spoke to Exmark tech support and everything suggested has been tried. The dealer is Bens Lawn in Danville Pa. What should I do?
    This is the third time I have had to push the machine back onto my trailer. Kinda frustrated spending $5500.00 on machine that wont start.
  2. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Just curious, is your levers in neutral and also parking brake on? Sometimes, the latch that lock lever and parking brake have to be in syn together to start. Most of new owners are to eager to cut but always for get little things and also, gas valve shut off. Also , carb dirty, old gas, bad plugs. I have 17 FH 500V on my TTHP which runs like horse, engine is like bulletproof on its 5 seasons, but I use Amsoil 10-30 on it.
    I wish I could be more of help but, just a little suggestion.
    good luck
  3. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply....Maybe a little more info would help...The first 2 posts went staright to Exmark for some reason and were not posted here.
    Anyways...the unit does not even turn over...just turn the key and nothing...
    sometimes it will just start right up then if I turn it off it wont even turn over.
    3 times now I have been mowing a customers yard (leaf vac) and I have shut the Lazer off and when I come back to use it again it wont start.

1. Battery is fresh and charged
    2. 2 of the 2 relays on board are new.
    3. PTO switch is working.
    4. Brake switch is working
    5. neutral switch is working

Not sure what to do .....Dealer has had it 2 times for repair and can not fix it....
  4. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Move your control arms for forward and backward motion in and out. By that I mean bring them in to the middle of you chest then take them back out to the side. While trying to start mover one lever with one hand while turing the key. Do the same thing on the other side if it doesn't start. Hopefully this will help.

5. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

might be a defective starter ,sometimes they cant draw current when hot
  6. check your battery ground, had one that wouldn't start , the end of the ground terminal was broke off. just a thought.
  7. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

I will keep trying all ideas...thanks all!
  8. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

Its cold now in the garage sitting overnight and it wont start.
    Does not even turn over.
  9. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

Check your engine ground, Have had some kohler engine bolts breaking and loosing grounds. Don't know if you have a kohler or not.
  10. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

Does this unit have a coil?