1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lazer Z XP 72 Mule Belt Snapped

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by oak-knoll-farm, Dec 11, 2001.

1. oak-knoll-farm

oak-knoll-farm LawnSite Member

I hadn't used my Lazer Z XP (27HP diesel) with a 72" deck in about two months and started it up last weekend just to mulch some leaves. I keep it out of the weather under cover in a garage. After normal start up, when I engaged the mower blades, there was a puff of smoke and one of my mule blades snapped. I think the the smoke was from the blade snapping -- one belt was shredded where it broke and the other belt was twisted but still on the pulleys. I think when the first belt snapped, it fouled the other belt. The deck, blades and mower belt was clean and free (didn't see nay rat guts either!). I had less than 6 months and 70 hours on the mower and belts. Just to be on the safe side, I bought two new Exmark OEM mule belts (PN EXM103-0881) so I could change both at the same time.

Before I change out both mule belts, do you have any ideas as to what would cause a relatively new, and otherwise good belt, to snap when it was engaged? The only thing I could possibly think of was that maybe the belt was stuck to a pulley from sitting or because I rinces the mower off before putting it away. I usually blow off the grass and rinse it but have never had any problems like this. Should I send the belt to the dealer or Exmark to look at?
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Well first thing I'm sorry to here about the belt failure. The good thing is I'm about 99.99 percent sure what happened.

The belt broke because a spring-loaded idler was froze-up. It could have been 1 or more of 3 spring-loaded idlers. There is 1 on the deck and 2 for the mule drive belts, 1 for each belt.

I think it probably happened when you washed your machine. We tell people if they wash their machine with water to start the unit and run it for 2-3 minutes with the blades engaged. This will remove the water for these moving parts.

The other thing you can do is grease the unit good before leaving it set for an extended period of time. These things will prevent this from happening again.

Thanks, Fred.