Lazer Z XS 31hp Vanguard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnfella, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Lawnfella

Lawnfella LawnSite Member

I'm buying a new 60 inch Lazer Z next year and I can't decide on either the 27hp Kohler or the 31hp Briggs. I've never been a fan of Briggs but I've read that Daihatsu helped engineer theese engines. Has anyone used one of these new mowers? If so what do you think about them?

2. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I test drove the 31 hp lazer this summer I loved it and I do plan on one next year I have found 27 hp is plenty for a 60 inch deck so I would not buy a 31 hp for that sized deck. I plan on a 72 and for that I can justify the 31 hp motor. The one sweet thing is the XS is 2 miles an hour faster then the other models.

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I have the 31hp Daihatsu turbo-diesel in my Gravely 272z. The things a beast and I've never had any real problems.

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

The 31 horse motor on the XS is, to my understanding actually manufactured by Daihatsu.

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Go with the 31 hp. One thing i've learned is you can never have too much power. if the extra power is there you will definately find times when it comes in very handy. The Vanguard is manufactured by Diahitsu so you can be confident that you are buying a very good engine.