LazerHP uneven cut

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by GlowBlue, May 25, 2004.

1. GlowBlue

GlowBlue LawnSite Member

I bought my LazerHP (52", 23 Kaw) last year and it performed great.

This season, I noticed a very slight uneven cut...on the very outer edge of the discharge side of the mower (no mulch kit installed) about a 6" stripe of grass is cut, but not at the same level as the rest, its about 1/2" taller. I have the deck set to 3", and the uncut part might be 3.5".

I leveled the deck slightly (lowered the non-discharge side about 1/4" )and this did not solve the problem, plus I would suspect that the entire cut would be uneven, not just a 6" stripe. The blades have been balanced and sharpened. The only thing I haven't done is check the tire pressure. Since I just noticed it this season, could it be tire pressure or something else? I don't see any visible signs that one tire is less than the other.

Thanks for any hints.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

GlowBlue,

A couple of things come to mind. Keep in mind it's often difficult to diagnose these things via e-mail, phone etc. First you probably need to get the unit into the dealer for inspection.

Here are a couple of thoughts before you take it into the dealer. First if the 6" of grass is right at the outer edge of the deck I would suspect a bent spindle shaft or bent deck or something similar to that.

If the 6" of grass lines up with the front caster/anti-scalp roller etc. I would suspect a lack of lift from the deck. This can be caused by belt slippage or engine rpm.

It's also possible that it may be something as simple as deck leveling. It's unusual but once in a while a deck that is unlevel can do some really strange things. Things that are tough to explain. Like I said you'll probably be ahead to get it into the dealer for inspection. Once there they should be able to find the problem or at least take all the critical measurements and perform all the adjustments so we know where our starting point is.

Thanks,

Terry

3. SUGAR_CUT_MARK

SUGAR_CUT_MARK LawnSite Member

speaking of uneven cut, I have a 1995 Exmark Metro 48" walk behind, which I love. It usually starts on the first pull. I am concerned because it has not been cutting even. It is leaving slight "waves" on the grass that I cut. It is not perfectly smooth. It is more noticeable on certain types of grasses. Can u give me some suggestions on how i could fix this? I cannot afford a new Exmark at this time, but I probably can afford to fix it.

4. eXmark

Sugar,

It's tough to guess what your seeing on this one but here's my guess. I suspect the cut isn't real manicured across the width of the deck but it is level between each pass.

This would lead me toward blade tips speed (belt slippage, engine rpm), blade spacers and caster spacers. Are you by chance cutting in the 3" or higher range. Also are you mulching, side discharging or bagging?

Thanks,

Terry

5. SUGAR_CUT_MARK

SUGAR_CUT_MARK LawnSite Member

Thx for the response! Yes it is level, and the stripes it leaves are beautiful. i am side discharging. Tire pressure is at the recommended PSI. There are 2 spacers under all 3 spindles, and the max amount of spacers on the casters (for max height) I am sure i'm cutting at 3" or above, however i haven't measured. Good suggestion on blade tip speed, but how do u measure that??

6. eXmark

Sugar,

If I had to guess I'd say the rear axle setting is at D or lower. If so you probably have negative rake in the deck. Once in a while you can also get similar results with a level deck. You may want to lower the casters by one or two spacers.

Thanks

Terry