lazerz afteruns when shutting off

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by mustang_52, Feb 23, 2004.

1. mustang_52

mustang_52 LawnSite Member

I have a 25hp kohler on it and it seems everytime you shut it down it "diesels" or afteruns. I usually let it run for a little bit on idle then shut it off. If I shut it off at half throttle it doesnt do it. Please help.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Mustang,

This is common with all the big v-twins we use. The proper shut down procedure is to throttle down to around 1/2 or 3/4 throttle before shutting the engine down.

You may still see some "dieseling" or backfiring however this will minimize it.

Thanks,

Terry

3. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

I know Exmark should have the final say on this however I had the same exact problem the dealer was absolutly no help for for months then one day he decides to talk and explain the mower. Problem was I was shutting it down same as Mustang was which the dealer said was wrong because the engine needs to be turned off at full throttle because at the full position there is a fuel shut off in the carb that is activated when the key is turned off giving the engine a nice smooth shut down, If the throttle is not in the full position the fuel does not get shut off which results in a run off or dieseling engine. Since he told me this my engine has never had a problem shutting down....

4. sutliffe

sutliffe LawnSite Member

What's the RIGHT way to shut down?

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Guys,

Shut the engines off at 1/2 throttle or above for best results.

Thanks,

Terry