lazerz hp kohler 23 2002 model

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by shawns mowing, Jun 5, 2002.

1. shawns mowing

shawns mowing LawnSite Member

When i picked up my mower from the dealer i noticed the koholer 23 comand motor had alot of tapping sound coming from it. I asked the dealer if it was noramal he said yes. i read the kohler manual it said it has hydraulic lifters and untill there built up they will tap. I have 75hours on the motor now.I noticed when i first start the mower at idle i can still hear tapping if i mow with it then bring it down to idle sometimes it stops. i guess the lifters are built up after use .I have a kohler 22 command motor on another ztr it does not make the tapping sound. I just wanted to know if this is normal for the kohler motors. also i noticed when i turn off the motor it pops or somtimes trys to keep runing. I let it idle for about 20 seconds befor truning it off. thanks shawn.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Shawn,

It is quite common for the lifters to tap on a new machine until they have a chance to "pump up".

The biggest cause for lifter noise in the Kohler engine we see after the break in period is the engine oil. First be certain you using a multi-grade 10W-30 oil. If you using a straight 30 weight your going to continue to have lifter noise however it will get worse. If you using a 10W-30 now and they still make a little noise you may want to try switching the brand of oil your using. Not all oils even though they may spec out the same perform the same.

If that doesn't take care of it then have your dealer call his Kohler tech rep and they'll get to the bottom of it or just have them give us a call as well.

Thanks

Terry

3. shawns mowing

shawns mowing LawnSite Member

I used kohler 10w30 command oil for the first 2 oil chances. then went to castrol 10w30. there was no differce in the tapping.I dont have much faith in the dealers tech in his shop. I just want to know if the tapping is normal now with 75 hours on the motor and if it could be a problem in the futcher. I maintance the mower reguly oil changed every 25hours.

4. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Huh? I thought staight weight 30 was the way to go?!

5. eXmark

Shawn,

Sounds like just to be safe you should ask your dealer to call his Exmark distributor service manager who just so happens to be the Kohler service manager for Texas. Incidentally he may be the best in the country. This is the guy we call when our lab guys can't figure something out. If there is a problem with your machine he will be able to find it. If there's not a problem he'll be able to find that as well.

Even if youÂ’re not overly confident with your dealers abilities you couldn't be in better hands.

Thanks

Terry

6. eXmark

Vibe,

Kaw's and most others recommend primarily straight 30 weight and multi-weight if there is an availability problem or at lower temperatures due to the solid lifters. They'll also tell you that using a multi-weight oil will increase the oil consumption.

Kohler says multi-weight only, which is required because of the hydraulic lifters.

Some guys get lucky and get by running a straight 20 in the Kohlers but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Thanks

Terry