LazerZ HP or Liquid-Cooled?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mike Felices, Dec 1, 2000.

1. Mike Felices

Mike Felices Banned
    from Georgia

I have been contemplating the purchase of a new LazerZ for next year. I was looking at the 52" LazerZ HP with the 23hp. Kawasaki. Or the 22hp. Kawasaki Liquid-Cooled with a 52" deck. Is it worth getting the liquid-cooled engine. I am only cutting 20 yards per week and they are all residential. Thanks for any help. It is greatly appreciated.

2. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

In my opinion the LQ would not be needed. Most residential lawn will only take 10-20 minutes to cut.
    Exmark was giving rebates of $500 for LQ models and few months ago....so if you can get one for the same price as an air cooled..

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Mike,

There must be 20 or so similar posts on this topic. Use the search button at the top of the page.

Anyway, why don't you want a 60"? There is a higher resale value for a 60" cut. In my opinion, a 60" deck is the ideal size. A 60" can do whatever a 52" can except go thru a 53" gate! There are some nice deals and financing available this year yet. The HP's have smaller gas tanks and are 2 mph slower. The HP uses vertical shaft and the fullsize use horizontals. There are more engine choices available for the fullsize Lazer. I've heard very good things on the 26hp EFI Kohler. And I can personally recommend the 27hp LC Kawi. I think the 22LC Kawi that your talking about is a 2000 model as I am pretty sure that they went to the 23&27 HP LC Kawi's for 2001. Whatever you get, get the suspension seat. No matter how much it costs.

4. tlcgrounds

tlcgrounds LawnSite Member

Mike let me give you some good advice. If you are only maintaining 20 residentials a week consider this. how about buying newly used. Tony Weston- who advertises on this site has a whole list of well maintained lazerhp for a fraction of the cost of new. These machines are great for the part timer or those just getting started. He also has a 52" truf tracer for sale and take it from me a 52" lazer will not substatailly out mow a 52" hyro mower! They are cheaper to purchase and cheaper to maintain. Exmarks are like battle tanks. If your smart enough to maintain a puck up truck you can effectivly care for an Exmark. Look under the used equipment forum under post "Get your Exmarks" or go to Emxrak.com and go to previously owned equipment. If you have cash flow problems just go to your local bank and fianance it. All they'll what is 20% down at most and on a $4,000 machine that is only $800 it could be less depending on your bank relationaship.

5. toddman35

toddman35 LawnSite Member

If they are the same price... Go with the liquid cooled. As dixie1 said, they go faster, hold more fuel, and have more engine options, i would go with a 2000 22 LC 60". You can get them cheaper than a 2001, and the 22 has enough power for a 60 inch deck. If you want more power, you can get a 2001, 27 or 23 hp kawasaki, and i saw in the 2001 dixie chopper brochure that kohler came out with a liquid cooled 23hp. Plus you wouldnt have to wear ear protection on the liquid cooled, because they are QUIET! I would also suggest that you go to http://www.exmark.com and look in the used equitment section, they have a few liquid cooled 22's for sale. hope this helps.

6. Mike Felices

Mike Felices Banned
    from Georgia

Thanks for your help guys. I have seen the new 27hp LC Kawasaki. It is a nice machine. I don't know about the 60" though because I am doing all residential, it seems a little big for my needs. I was also how the mulch kits work. If anyone has before and after pictures of mulching leaves, it would be greatly appreciated. I am only really putting about 100-200 hours per year on a unit. I have a 36" Toro hydro walk behind that I am trying to sell because it isn't fast enough for me. Is there much more maintenance for the LC models? The majority of my yards are Bermuda, how well will the 60" float on Bermuda? With that 60" deck my yards would only take 5-10 minutes each. 15 at the most for my large yards.

7. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Mike I have the Lazer Z 22hp LC 60" . The mulcher is awesome. I did very little bagging I muclhed 12" leaves into dust
    that normally I used to bag with my old mowers. The mulcher is as good as they get. If your lawns are all small and you don't expect to get any larger ones, or if your lawns are really soft and spongy then I would go with a smaller lighter unit, 52" 26 efi Kohler or 23 hp Kohler.
    But if the extra weight doesn't matter then definately look at the LC units.

8. Mike Felices

Mike Felices Banned
    from Georgia

Thanks for your help. I have been looking at the new 60", 27hp Kawasaki LC with a mulch kit. That is probably what I will end up with for next year. 60" isn't to big for residential is it?

9. toddman35

toddman35 LawnSite Member

no, most of the landscape companies around here usually use 23/25hp kohlers with 62" toros. i do not think that they are to big, and if so then i would keep your 36" and use that for the smaller lawns. I would not go with the 23 kohler, but rather the 23 kawasaki, you can get the 60" on that engine on the 2001 line. Hope this helps

10. Mike Felices

Mike Felices Banned
    from Georgia

Thanks guys. I am going to plan on getting a 60" Lazer with the new 27hp LC Kawasaki, and a mulch kit. Hope it works out for me.