Lazy a$# neighbor

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by centepede, Jul 6, 2004.

1. centepede

centepede LawnSite Member

We just moved into our home in December and we have been blessed with a lazy neighbor who does absolutely no yard work:angry: I want to run a tall growing hedge (fast growing) to seperate us from his weed infested,no grass cutting, dead shrubs, self:mad: Yes we have reported him to our HOA too! Any pics or suggestions would be great. Thanks

2. centepede

21 looks and no suggestions:confused:

3. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

what part of charleston are you from? The HOA's in some neighborhoods down there will reem you a new one for a privacy hedge. At the end of this year I'm relocating my family to Mt pleasant, in the dunes west neighborhood, Already have the contract signed for them to start building. Can't wait.

4. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Is that like the Bylaw Department down there?

I know what you mean about neighbours. But by being the first to instigate a situation like this dont be surprised if you yourself become a victim of the HOA. You will have the thought of this guy screwing you when ever you are any way outside the rules of the HOA. e.g. building a shed, widening the driveway, installing an AC unit, parking on the lawn, watering lawn at restricted times, etc...

Go over and offer to cut his lawn for him once and a while and check your HOA on privacy hedge restrictions. Also search this site for the same "Privacy Hedge". There are several fast growers, most need room. Fast also means they live a shorter life span from what I read.

Just my 2 cents Centepede.

I have had 1 lazy neighbour in any neighbourhood Ive lived in. Never 2 on one street yet.

5. centepede

I have cut his grass and so has the neighbor on the other side. Just enjoying the free ride for as long as we will let him. We are in Indigo Fields Subdivision...lots of noses in the air if you know what I mean. I will do a search for privacy hedges too. Thanks for all the responses.

6. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

Stick with evergreen hedges for year-round privacy. I've used dwarf burford holly (6-8' tall, 4' wide) and Nellie R. Stevens holly (10-12' but don't overwater), both have sharp leaves. Variegated ligustrum (8-10', 6-8') provides dense foliage that can be easily shaped by pruning the branches.

7. amw

amw LawnSite Senior Member

send me his address (lol) ill send him a invoice for it...
    (or maybe you should!)
    :D

8. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Try some Eleagnus. Double row off center. You will have a high and tight hedge in no time. Plus they are fairly cheap. Get at least 3 gal material.

9. rwidman

rwidman LawnSite Member

Check the HOA bylaws for restrictions on hedges. You could draw up a plan or submit a photograph with the proposed hedge (use a photo editing software proram).
    Remember, if he won't cut his grass he's not going to trim his side of the hedge either. ;)

A less expensive solution is to get the HOA to force the neighbor to maintain his/her property.

10. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

Unless i lived in a neighborhood where you dont really have any freedom to do what you want with what you have i would say leave it alone. the man bought his own house and his own property. who place is it to tell him what to do with it? it is not your property or anybodu elses.just leave the man alone.
    unless he is violating zoning laws or the hoa bylaws. < this is why i will never own a house in a neighborhood. the hoa. its like you buy your house and property and they tell you how to use it. f that.