Lazy Americans

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by C & T Landscaping, Apr 30, 2010.

1. C & T Landscaping

C & T Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Have you noticed a rise in business since more and more Americans are getting lazier by the year? I mean alot of Americans(including me) order out more than we sit with family over a home cooked dinner. Has their laziness increased your business?

2. grass pro llc

grass pro llc LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Apparently you need more work.

3. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

no ive seen a rise of older people who just cant mow anymore

4. C & T Landscaping

C & T Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Well thanks for telling me what I need as I can't tell for myself or something. But no I don't need more work. It was a simple question that I thought would have interesting answers.

5. bradsd

bradsd LawnSite Member

I don't know any lazy Americans, most of them don't have time to mow because they are working 60 hours a week at their slave jobs. I also enjoy eating out with family it is the family time spent together that matters. Nothing wrong with cooking and eating at home together either. You have a odd view point of the USA citizens, I think we are the most productive and innovative work force in the world!:usflag:

6. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

You should travel abroad, unfortunately this is not even close to the truth.

7. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I had a guy quit before he got started. Told him he would start out trimming...like in the interview. Said he had to get something out of his car, He drove off.

8. rjh4758

rjh4758 LawnSite Member

America and Americans are changing. Most no longer do the dirty jobs around the home any more- like mow the lawn, clean the gutters, change the oil in the car and so on. I bet most of our fathers did these things when we grew up. But today people will work OT just so they can pay some one else to do the dirty work. But lazy I think not, they just do what they are good at and have someon esle do what they do not want to deal with.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about Americans in general..that's pretty broad..but I do know this..And I think it is getting worse. My old Job was at a factory- 32+ years. In the 70's we wouldn't have considered taking a break every 1-2 hours of the day. by the time I left- People thought they 'deserved' a break atleast 15 min. every 2 hours..or less. If wasn't in contract- It was taken anyway. Maybe it was because they knew they could get away- But I know the work force and attitude totally changed from early years to the later. Partly thou was the hiring wasn't screen nearly as close..you were getting the 'bad boys' off the street who only knew one way of making money..and it wasn't the old fashion way of working for it. Geno

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

No, not really. Here's a partal list of customers and their reasons for hiring me.

Male. About 35/40. Operates a very busy lock and key business. Has several small trailer parks too. I cut one of them. 4 units. 1/2 acre per unit. Mow and Go only.

Male. 30ish. Small computer store owner. Works morning noon and night.

Female. Amost 65. Nagging health issues.

Male, Almost 70. Vietnam vet. Both knees are shot (not by a gun).

Husband/wife. Around 40. Husband works back in MD and wife can hardly walk.

Male. Around 45. Runs a tree service/landscaping. Like's the way I service his property. Been servicing his property since 2007.

It goes on and on just like that. Very rarely do I encounter a person that hires me just because they're lazy.