1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lbs to Cubic Feet

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LoneStarLawn, Jan 16, 2001.

1. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Does a 40 lb bag of soil come out about the same as 1 cubic foot?
  2. nasandsons

nasandsons LawnSite Member

I found this web site that has all sorts of formulas for conversions. The URL is:

After scrolling down the page to pounds, it appears that 40lbs. is equivalent to .640776 cubic feet.

The formula used is 40lbs. x 0.0160194

Let me know if you come up with something different.
  3. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

Sorry, but there is no exact way to tell. The conversion factor that was used in the previous post is for converting pounds of water into the number of cubic feet of water. Topsoil has a different density than water, thus rendering the conversion wrong. Different types of topsoil would have different densities, and even the same type of topsoil could have different densities (compacted and loose). What I am getting at is there is no exact way to determine this using a conversion factor. Around here, the general rule is that a ton of topsoil equals about a cu yard, but this is a very general rule.

I just found this in my Pocket Ref. It lists "Earth, Loam, Dry, Excavated" as having 78 lb. per cu. ft. That works out to: 40 lb/78 = .52 cu. ft. Still, this is an estimate, and to me it seems very low.

[Edited by eskals on 01-16-2001 at 01:51 PM]
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The moisture content would have a great bearing effect too. Same holds true with mulch and anything else.
  5. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Most bagged material will tell you right on the label or bag what the manufacturer estimates is the cubic footage. Try looking on the bag for what they say.
  6. LoneStarLawn

The bag does not say or I wouldn't be asking
  7. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Jeeez, all this time I was wrong. You DO have to be a rocket scientist to mow lawns!
  8. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

It is almost impossible to convert lbs to sq ft or cu ft
    there are to many varibles,,,best way is:
    find a box (square or rectangle) that will hold the bag or 2
    measure the h x w x d and you have your cu ft.
  9. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Pounds to Cubic feet is Weight to volume, which can't be done.
  10. LoneStarLawn

You can with fluids Vibe Ray...