LC 27 HP Kawasaki VS. Kohler AC 27 HP ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bassngrass, Mar 27, 2005.

1. bassngrass

bassngrass LawnSite Member

Which engine is best? Should I pay the extra 800-1000 dollars for the Kawasaki 27 hp Liquid Cooled engine on my Grasshopper, or should I go with AC Kohler 27 HP. Total price 8100 vs 8900 dollars?

What would you do? Is liquid cooled the way to go?

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Diesel is the way to go! You can run off-road diesel (cheap!) and last a lot longer than a gasser!

3. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

A liquid cooled engine is quieter and it will also last longer than an air cooled engine. But before paying that big premium, first ask yourself if you are ever going to get that money back. What I mean is, are you planning to keep this mower for longer than 2000 hours? That's how long a typical air cooled engine will last.

Most people get tired of a machine before the engine wears out. They either want to trade up, or buy something different, so if you don't keep the mower long enough, you will be wasting money. Actually, what you will be doing is giving it to the next owner who will see the benefit, not you.

As for the question of which brand to buy, I'd go with Kawasaki in a heart beat. I've had Kohlers and Kawasakies, and the Kawasakies are by far a stronger engine. Actually, if I were looking to switch engines, I'd look real hard at the new Briggs 35 hp.

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I agree. It depends on how much you will use it and how long you will keep it. If you will be putting a lot of hours on the machine the LC Kawasaki is the way to go. With the proper maintenance i've heard of those engines lasting 6000-7000 hours. The air cooled Kohlers will probibly last 3000 hours with the proper maintenance.

5. PLM-1

Talking to the GH rep and my dealer. They had trouble getting them past 5000 hours during testing. They thought they needed the Kaw. to compete with other companies. My dealer won't sell one with the Kaw. on it (so he says). I've never seen one on his showroom and i haven't seen 1 running around! so maybe he's right!

6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I've heard of them running 6000-7000 on JD's. How come GH is having trouble getting them past their tests? I would think they would perform just as good on one mower as they would another.

7. PLM-1

That's a good question! :help:

8. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I always tell my big cutter customers the less you pay upfront the less you have to regain when you sell. These are customers that trade off machine at the 2 year mark. Plus, the less I give for it the less I have to resell it for. It's a win- win situation.

9. bassngrass

bassngrass LawnSite Member

I'm just a residential home owner, not commercial: I just liked the performance and the "guiet" smooth operation of the LC Kaw better than the AC 27 Kohler. Diesel was awesome, no doubt, but not in my budget.

Let's here some more opinions.

10. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

I would go with the kawi also ,i would also look at there 25 air cooled over water cooled if possible,less headaches down the road with poss,water leaks ,and for the price difference with a little extra you can buy a new air cooled and be new all over again.Ill always remember what was written on here a long time ago ,Kawi builds alot of small engines ,bikes ,trimmers etc.kohler builds toilets and faucets