1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

LCO cuts my dorms at 8am, I become the PO'ed customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheKingNJ, Sep 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

Its my senior year at school and I want to live on campus, this is my 4th week here and now every Friday morning the Lawncare company that maintains my campus has managed to cut the lawn all around the senior housing at 8 am. Come on, do they have any common sense? all my roommates are awakened also and extremely pissed off. So I go outside to ask them if they could cut a different area and reschedule cutting the dorms later in the day. come on this isn't an unreasonable request, i'm not telling them to load their trailers and come back in a few hours, just more asking them to be courteous. Then i come to find out that all 8 workers that are in walking distance do not speak a word of english. So I get even more upset and sarcastically ask if he has a greencard, and he says no.

How could i call the department of immigration on LCO? Could my beloved state funded school in New Jersey be hiring a LCO that uses illegal help.
  2. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but, if that was my operation cutting your dorms, and you came up to me complaining, I'd like to tell you "Well, buy yourself a pushmower and cut it yourself at your more convenient time. We will still be getting paid for the job, though." But, in real life, I'll just say "Yep.", and continue doing as I was doing to not open up a can of worms.

If it was 6:00 AM, I would agree with you, but 8:00 AM is well enough into the morning be considered as "too early for anyone to cut".

The illegals, though, that's a different story. Offer them $1 (una peso) per hour more than what they currently make, and have them pack into your pickup bed (Get a pickup cap with no windows) and drop them off to "cut" at your local immigration office. Problem solved.
  3. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Asking someone if they have a greencard is very insulting. You are not the police or the immigration. Because they are brown you assume they are illegal? Being part native american I'm asked all the time were I'm from? If I'm legal and do I have a greencard? Very insulting.
  4. C.T. Lawn Care

C.T. Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

its 8am you should be up anyways. I agree that if it was at 6am you would have something to complain about, but its not, its 8.
  5. TheKingNJ

yeah 8:00 am is well enough to cut most places, but not a college dorm. Come on, they just pissed off everyone on this part of campus. I'm usally an early bird but now since college, 9 am has become my 6am. Believe me if there was a guy there that spoke english and just gave me some load of crap or just responded with a comment like "yep" it would have made things a lot worse. As far as the push mower, heck I would love to have this contract, i even bid it last year but when your paying pablo $2.50 an hour it is understandable how you can cut this place for $19k less a year.

So how do I go about reporting the mexicans.
  6. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

8:00 AM.....On a campus.....Sounds like a commercial type account.

Maybe the guy you asked about a green card is a US citizen and read through your sarcasism and decided to mess with you.

I am sure you know there are better channels that you can go through. Call the head of the maintainence department. You might save the sarcasim with him/her or be prepared to hear the crews start at 7:05 AM next Friday
  7. Phoenix

Phoenix LawnSite Member

You know they are still laughing their A$$es off at you! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The only thing you can do is write an email to the Dean of your school and copy it to the all on the board of regents.

It used to upset me when I would here our Washington politicians on TV say that illegal aliens are doing jobs no one else want to do! They would go further to say; if we were to deport all of the undocumented workers, who would wow our lawns?
  8. TheKingNJ

Well HenryB, I didn't assume they are illeagal because they are brown, I assumed they were illeagal because they didn't speak a word of english and they were working for some LCO that is cutting our campus much cheaper then the other 4 bids the college took in. I can also speak broken spansih so I can tell that they are speaking spanish, not american idian. I don't care if i'm insulting, I'll ask them if they have a greencard if I want too.
  9. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

It's 10:32 AM Go Back to bed.
  10. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

It's not the LCO's fault you're enjoying the college life.

I could see 6:00 or even 7:00 a.m., but come on, 8:00 is too early to be cutting grass? We cut some residentials earlier than that.

You sure don't sound like a guy that's been in the industry for 4 years.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.