LCO enemy, closeup

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tharrell, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Well, not too close! Hey, I'm no fool!
    I had just went around this tree ring.
    I saw these bad boys just in time to put the wb in 5th and take off!

Attached Files:

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

LOL! they obviously weren't too aggressive since you were standing there, not the africanized!

I had a little bunch at a customers house a month or so ago. They had made or were making a nest in some sod hunks the lady had tossed under her deck, must have been some voids in there and they made it home. I saw them buzzing around and was cautious to say the least. I watched them closely as I mowed and avoided them by about 5 feet, they never even changed their flight plan or seemed to move faster or in my direction. Also they were fairly small in size, almost like a large housefly but was obviously a bee. Whatever kind they were they didn't care about me in the least.

I saw the homeowner that day and notified her of them, she had no idea even tho they were right next to where she had rolled up her water hose! She took care of them.
  3. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

haven't seen any jackets in about 3 weeks around here. glad you saw them in time. they will chase you plum down the street.
  4. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I found a nest of yellow jackets with my trimmer about a month ago. I guess they didn't like me messing with their home too much!:p
  5. jcb287

jcb287 LawnSite Member

You really have to watch this time of year.LOL I can picture Tharrell cruizin right now looking over his shoulder:laugh:
  6. abuckeye

abuckeye LawnSite Member

I ran over a nest in the ground that I didn't know was there a few weeks ago. I had to jump off the mower until they calmed down a little. I got stung about 10 times. Told the homeowner I was not mowing back there until the problem was fixed.
  7. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I'm assuming these were some kind of wasp and not honeybees. Remember that it's the honeybee that has the problem with the africanized species running amok.

Check these images to be able to tell the difference. Remember, honeybees are our friends:drinkup: , yellow jackets and other wasps are the enemy!:cry:

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry, From the fuzzy viedo I really thought they were just bees. YES some bees do nest in the ground. We really don't see "yellowjackets" around here, we do however have the huge ground hornets that look like a yellowjacket on steriods! They are like the social wasps and will colonize together after some time. The nest I ran across was just bees, and if it wasn't they were some tame (and small) yellowjackets, lol!

We just recently had out pesticide recertification class and one segment was all about the africanized honey bees that are nearly as far north as Kansas now. Got to learn how to distinguish the difference between the 2, as well as the obvious Differences between BEES and yellowjackets.

Learned that bees are NOT "afraid of water" as most people are told. Also that the africinized bees will give chase for nearly a MILE, while the european bees will only chase for a couple hunderd feet. Don't junp in a lake either, cause they WILL wait for you to surface to get a breath... Best place to run is a car or truck, hope your windows are up, jump in and then swat the ones that came in with you. Gal said people tend to freak at the ones that came with you in the vehicle and jump back OUT with the 1,000 or so waiting outside. But that's all nethier here nor there since we are talking about yellowjackets here...
  9. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i always thought jumping in water drowns "no pun intended" your scent so they will leave you alone.
  10. mowingtowing

mowingtowing LawnSite Member

i got stung several times this year by yellow jackets. NO FUN!