LCO finished lawn in 7 minutes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eddie B, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I have 4 $35 accounts on this 1 street, each takes 20 mins mow trim and blow (48" WB), and while doing these another lawn company parks on the street. New Dodge Dually pickup, large open trailer with 2 Exmark Z's. 2 man crew. As they pull up I'm rather impressed with the setup, much more expensive than my WB's and '92 chevy pickup. They looked to be well-established. The one guy gets on his Exmark Z, looks to be a 62" deck, 3 passes at the front and I guess 4 in the back, him and his trimmer guy are in and out in about 7 minutes. No edging, no sidewalk cleanup, just a quick mow and trim. It looked like they did it in 7 minutes too, it was horrible work. I was just blown away by the fact that they could do crappy work AND get paid in almost no time at all. Unbelievable.

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Most customers don't know good work from bad.

3. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

he's the high dollar scrub, u've heard of an high tech redneck b4 i'm sure....

this guy is licensed and everything i'm sure, but he specializes in quick mows and goes... some ppl don't care what their lawn looks like as long as its cuts... sure a 7 min mow is not as manicured as a 20 min mow, trim, and blow service but its done quick & cheap.... this guy probably charged $25 instead of charging $35, but he was in & out in half the time you were sure your cuts look better, but his is quick & cheap...

you get what you pay for, and i'm sure both customers are pleased....

4. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Thats about what it takes us, usually 9 minutes, but we blow off the sidewalk, drives and deck, steps etc. Thats on a average city lot, not very big. No edging is needed. On a full plus acre it takes us 25-30 minutes, depending on trimming. Now if I go with the guys its faster yet. we run 72" and a 60" ztr riders.

5. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Same goes for us. Although everything we do gets picked up - whole city is that way, one does it they all do it all the time. Any way, we run 52 Z's, 44 WB, about 10 minutes with a few guys mowing, trim & blow. In and out but were neat!

6. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

dang wriken, what do u call an average city lot, your operating w/a 72'' & 60'' ztr mowers on small lots? that 72'' needs to be put on fields & large turfs instead of 3/8 acre lots

7. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

we do very few city lots. 80 % of our clients have 1 acre lots, roughly 32,000+feet after house, drive, gararge etc. The rest are 2-6 acres in size. One lawn is alittle over 4 acres, from unloading to load up, 55 minutes.
    We get the 72 and 60 in some pretty tight spots. WE do have a 52"belt and a 36" hydro, they don't get used very much, acually probably will be posting the 52 for sale soon.

8. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I think there is something to this comment. Some people just want the danged thing mowed and don't care, others want the place to look great. The real point of being in this business is to know which market you want to deal with going in, purchase the appropriate equipment, and do the kind of work your customers want done. If you're doing budget lawn care, don't sweat the details. If you're going high-dollar, make dang sure the trimming is done right.

9. south jerz

south jerz LawnSite Member

We finish in about the same time on a 1/5 acre lot, with edging (unless previous weeks edging is still very sharp), trimming, and blowing. Two 48" walk-behinds running with one trimmer/blower guy.

Work is not the absolute best in the area but good enough for our customers.

You're pulling in over $100 which in my mind is good for mowing, but maybe you could be pulling in a lot more if you mixed your strategy and their strategy a little.

10. Aleman

Aleman LawnSite Member

Its all about filling a need...Example, who makes the best hamburgers in the restaurant business....Now, who sells the most?? I bet your answers are different....