LCO gets charged with Felony Assault

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by nosparkplugs, Jul 26, 2008.

1. white1

white1 LawnSite Member

I notice youre from Baton Rouge. We now have laws here resembling some in Texas regarding protecting your property. Had that happened here in La. chances are the kid would have been shot, and it would have been justified. I dont ever think beating someone unconscious is ever a good idea. Like you stated the LCO will more than likely wind up paying out his arse for a lawsuit. I also realize that when you loose your temper sometimes its hard to control your actions. Not at all justifying the severity of the beating, but I see it as defense of personal property that got out of control not some thug beating the crap out of a innocent person.

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

Crooks get killed all the time in SC. If they're on your property stealing, that poses a threat in it self... shoot first ask questions later.. heck here you're even allowed to have a loaded handgun in your car. Sorry the kid might die or have some serious damage, but he caused it himself.
  3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

here in AR you cant shoot them in the back if they try to run when you see them and yell at them. but if they act like they reachin for a weapon or so much as run at you.... then deadly force is justified. as for the gun in the thieves hand.... the serial # is scratched off so thief must have stole it from somewhere or paid cash on street. im sure theres plenty more cheap, used, untraceable guns were that came from..... come on... i know you landscapers know how to plant things.

i say we need to adopt third world countries style of justice. catch a thief... cut off his hands.

and ever since i put a gun rack on my ztr rops (see other thread) havent had anything stolen.
  4. Yuanding

Yuanding LawnSite Member
    from England

Sad to see that the law in the U.S is even more on the criminal's side than it is here in the UK.
    Thought you might like to know what happened when a tree surgeon who lives on the next street from me was burgled last year. He lives in a third floor apartment, and woke one night to find himself confronting a total stranger in his bedroom. A struggle ensued and the intruder ended up falling three storeys to the ground (solid concrete). He died shortly afterwards.
    The tree man was arrested, but eventually released without charge after it was found that the burglar had a long criminal history, had two of the tree-man's chainsaws (taken in a previous burglary) at his house, and there was no evidence that the dead man had taken a beating before pitching off from the third floor.
    I wasn't too broken up to hear about the burglar's downfall. A few months previously, I had chased off three thieves armed with iron bars who had smashed the rear window of my vehicle parked outside my house to steal a trimmer in the back. They didn't get the trimmer but they didn't stick around to pay for a new rear window either. Of course I reported it but no-one was ever charged, because they were wearing hooded tops and I couldn't identify them.
    Thieves have respect for other people's property: they merely wish the property to become their property so that they can more perfectly respect it.
  5. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Most of you are dangerous. Makes us look bad.
  6. Yuanding

Yuanding LawnSite Member
    from England

It does, but there's another old saying:
    "Beware the fury of the patient man."
  7. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know about that. Maybe it's the fact that some of us have bigger stones than you when it comes to protecting our property. That being said, there's nothing wrong with your approach if it suits you. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to cause great bodily harm to a thief if I caught him in the act of stealing anything from my home or my rig. If as a result of that injury, the thief end up in the hospital or morgue is his problem....not mine. The way I see, he started it and I finished it.
  8. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Hey, Punt. Pssst. Yeah, you. I'd have to agree that a thief(especially a kid) does not deserve to die for stealing a trimmer. I do believe in something called stiff consequences, though, and the US government's consequences are too lax if you ask me. A parent of one of these delinquents will argue, "He's really a good kid, he just got in with the wrong crowd." NEWS FLASH: That kid IS the wrong crowd. When members of the wrong crowd get older, they may tend to be more violent. I say take him down hard before he can strike again--suffering brings repentance. I think Barney Fife would agree, "You have to nip it in the bud."
  9. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher LawnSite Member

Nothing, and I mean nothing, tougher than an internet tough guy. :laugh:
  10. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

i been thinking about what you said all night. you know... you are absolutely right. so help me put an end to the death penality and the war in iraq. after all... all those people our government kills in the name of justice.... they all have families and are somebodys kid. lets free the death row inmates. after all, they may become christians and walk into a TN church..... to shoot people.

people who have carry permits in my area arent allowed to take their guns to schools or churches. guess where all the shootings take place in the south. schools and churches and everywhere else the criminals know the good guys cant take their guns.