LCO license in Texas

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JPS, Feb 18, 2004.

1. JPS

JPS LawnSite Member

I have heard that Texas is trying to pass a law that you cannot operate any small engine equipment before 12pm. I have also heard that it won't pass, but they are trying to get all LCO's to be licensed, in order to conduct business (mowing etc.). Is it true? Where can I get more info? I sure hope we do have to get licensed so the bar can be raised and get rid of all these fly by night LCO.

2. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

This is all news to me.
    I believe some one may be pulling your leg a bit about the no small engines before 12pm.
    As far as the licensing, begin with acquiring your DBA from the county, then folow it up with the TDA license and the TCEQ license.

3. JPS

JPS LawnSite Member

I have a DBA already, I have just been hearing this through the grapvine fom 3 different people so far. The only thing is they heard from someone else from someone else.

4. globalhog

globalhog LawnSite Member

I'm new so please explain DBA, TDA, and TCEQ. What are they for and how do I get them and do I really need them?

5. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

DBA = Doing Business As

TDA = Texas Department of Agriculture

TCEQ = no idea

The only one of true importance is the TDA This is for obtaining your chem/ applicator license... the number one money maker for us (IMO).

DBA = better to go with LLC or LLP to protect your personnel property vs your business property

6. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

First of all, with a DBA, your personal assests such as home, auto, etc are protected. The state of Texas will not allow these to be taken.
    Secondly, if you do business in Texas, you had better be aware of TCEQ. The Texas Comission on Environmental Quality . This group is responsible for all the enforcement for irrigation, soil and chemical issues.
    Yes, TDA enforces as well, but only where TDA has the sole interest.
    TCEQ has the right to demand to see licenses, check records and check calibration on spray equipment.
    Also, for those of you doing business in Texas, if you do not have a spray license from TDA, and even carry material in your truck, you will need a much more restrictive license from TSPCB - Texas Structural Pest Control Board.
    Also be aware, these agencies have an intense networking/communication built in wherein if a complaint is made to one agency that they can't handle, they pass it around.

7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

8. JPS

JPS LawnSite Member

Thanks for the website Team Gopher. I found part of it. I see where they are talking about the situation, but are having problems getting it passed. Here is a link to see the Commercial Lawn Equipment 25hp and below restricted use from 6am-12pm in the months of Apr 1 - Oct 31 of each year.

http://www.tnrcc.state.tx.us/oprd/sips/l&g.html

9. CoultersDFW

CoultersDFW LawnSite Member

Thats the most ridiculous thing I've seen. Here in Texas, you'd burn up if you cant get your work done early! Geez!