1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

LCO should be licensed!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ACutAbovesiny, Sep 1, 2006.

1. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

I'm new to the lawn care business but I feel the same as most of you guys. I think that there should be more regulations in effect to limit the "mow and blow joe's" out there that aren't legal, lisenced or insured. We shouldnt have to compete with some guy with a mower...we have enough legitimate competition as it is.

Now don't get me wrong...I don't think we should go and beat up the neighborhood kids trying to make a buck...I'm talking the guys that are really effecting our bottom lines.

Is it just me or what? How do you feel when you see a guy with a mower in the back of his pick-up...no signs on the truck no commercial plates?
  2. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

It may just be you.

I feel that you may have too much time on your hands. I simply get up every morning and get about my business.

BTW - remember what your pops told you about those that assume to much?
  3. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

So you don't mind that there are no regulations?? I think more people here would disagree with you than agree.
  4. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

There are regulations, they aren't enforced. What exactly are more unenforced regulations supposed to accomplish?

I think it's a basic right to derive an income. If somebody wants to mow for a living they should be able to with little to no barriers to entry. There is a ton of money to be made in this business, if you compete against the guys with a mower in the back of a beat up truck then you won't make much. In other words, if you only provide the benefit of a mowed yard, you will be a price taker and make little to nothing. No amount of regulations would help you.
  5. maxkicker

maxkicker LawnSite Member

if your good at what it is you do and give superior service then there will always be "good" customers for you
    im glad to give those guys the pitas. i might even start collecting there cards
  6. lordmaximus240

lordmaximus240 LawnSite Member

everyone deserves to earn a buck...or would you rather have them on welfare? All the license taxes and other stuff just feed the govt. I am ligit and I could care less if a guy with a mower in a truck mows a yard. People will find and pay for what they want. If its a $20 mow and go great if its a yearly contract mulch etc by a "professional then thats great too
  7. maxkicker

maxkicker LawnSite Member

funny this came up today though my buddy that has a fairly large lco "larger than mine by far" was asking me today if i would be interested in buying some of his customers because he wants to downsize and only keep the money customers that he and 2 guys could manage
    he cant seem to quit beating on himself that there are guys he believes are
    making more money than him and not paying taxes or insurance
    i told him that these ppl arent makin more money and even if they were it could all be gone in a blink of an eye over something stupid hell the irs could squash em
    either way there aint much i can say to him hes just to bitter or somethin
    so i guess ill be doubling my customer base next year
  8. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Some times when some one offers you customers because they are down sizing it means they are getting rid of all the **** customers, you can use this with customers to, "joe blow is taking over most of my business because i am downsizing" it sounds better to the customer than "i am selling you !!!"

oh yes and we should all be licensed just like plumbers and electrians are here, it will bring a more professonal feel to the industry, should be a test to, safety stuff or whatever/ sight insurance etc maybe have to attend a course to see if you are up to scratch.
  9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Wrong assumption!
  10. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Well...I have 2 ways of looking at it. Would a license help our industry be taken a little more seriously by SOME customers?? Maybe...Maybe not. Im sure some scrubs take business away, but honestly I have all I can handle as a solo, so I dont really notice. Overall though...I wouldnt object to a license, because I think it would bring more credibility to what we do. However... dont think for a second that a license would stop scrubs completely...it wouldn't.