LCO Software for Mgmt

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by SLCINC, Dec 13, 2006.

1. SLCINC

SLCINC LawnSite Member

I need to upgrade my software system. Can you all let me know what you are using and point out some advantages, disadvantages, cost and other relevant info. Much appreciated.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What are you currently using?

3. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

Seriously you need to do a search because its been on here prolly 10+ times in the last 2 weeks or less. Anyhow I would use Gopher Basic for $200 bucks if I were smaller, but I like the grouping and crew features so I am planning to buy Gopher Plus ($300) next spring. Their website is wwww.getgopher.com . What works for might not for you, but at least download the trial. Another program out there that is gaining popularity is Clip, I had the Clip company send me a demo, and although I think it might be a good program its hardly user friendly! (I couldn't even find a list of the customers) And it cost a lot also (like $600 or something I think)...

- Josh

4. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are looking to grow your company into a business, not sole prop or one man operation, then CLIP will allow you to grow to whatever size you like.

Unlike Mow right, I could find the customer list just fine. I do agree, that it will take a little time to warm up to it, but once you are there, nothing will compare. (Hmmmm, I'm a poet and don't know it.)

Anyway, I personally feel that job costing with every conceivable report is as important if not more important than routing and scheduling in the software.

In other words, you could use OUTLOOK to schedule, or EXCEL to create schedule and route, but it would not allow you to track the projects there cost in overhead, and time, based on time and on employee preformance and other aspects of the work.

I am currently on a major push to grow my company and those things are extremely important to me. I do not want to do all of that manually or that is ALL I would be doing.

Also, tracking projects via cell phone, or PDA, and employee time, GPS Routing, and more from one software, different modules, allows you to start smaller and grow with these modules, and only pay the difference of price between the base price and the upgrade (not sure if that explains it correctly).

There is more, but I personally feel that for a GROWING Company to become a business system, CLIP is the best contender on the market for the money.

It is not overkill as some think, if you grow with it and it grows with you.

Tim

5. SLCINC

SLCINC LawnSite Member

I am currently using the microsoft office excel mail merge, and it works really well. I am only concerned with the same things you are talking about. The system took a while to develop, it only takes a couple hours to do the monthly invoices. But I need to organize other factors, landscaping schedule, costs, fertilization, etc. I would like to get something soon so that I can study it over the winter. Is there any software that I can use what I have developed in microsoft office to mix with?

6. SLCINC

SLCINC LawnSite Member

Thanks for the quick replies. I am currently using the microsoft office excel mail merge, and it works really well. I am only concerned with the same things you are talking about. I am going through similar issues that you are. The system that I am using took a while to develop, and I have it nearly perfected; it only takes a couple hours to do the monthly invoices, and schedules for the following month. But I need to organize other factors, landscaping schedule, costs, fertilization, new customers, and past due accounts, etc. I would like to get something soon so that I can study it over the winter. Is there any software that I can use what I have developed in microsoft office to mix with?

7. Tim Wright

You can handle Excel far better than I can.

I do not know of any other software that can mix MS but that does nto mean anything. It just means I don't know.

Call these software companies up and talk with reps. See what they have to say for themselves.

Tim

8. Tim Wright

Actually I would love to see your excel template.

Tim

9. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

This is the single best statement I've ever read on here. I hope that everyone READS this statement and remembers it. After doing our final reports last year, I found overhead discrepencies in the high thousand of $ because of failure to track costing.

The second biggest report to keep is a "Costs of Operations" report that should be updated anytime you buy equipment, add employees, ect. It is ridiculous to charge something just because the next guy charges that. Your bids should be a system..."it costs us (x) dollars an hour to run (y) and we want to make (z) in profits, so our bid is Cost of Operations + desired profit. We come in under most people and have an advantage because we know that the customer will receive a boat-load of "industry standard bids".

There is a world of knowledge out there, but all comes with wisdom. The difference in the two is experience.

10. SLCINC

SLCINC LawnSite Member

Hey team green, what program do you use that gets those reports. Is is simple or complex.