LCO "Tips and Tricks"

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Sprinkler Buddy, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Toro 455

Toro 455 LawnSite Member

Stokers..Longcut Wintergreen. By the 12 oz. tub.

Yesterday I mowed a customer that has signs posted at the driveways that says, "TOBACCO FREE ZONE". Not even the truckers smoke!
    I miscalculated and put in a big wad just before I mowed the front of the office. Swallowed a lot of really brown juice. I came home from work a little green. My wife asked me "Are you getting that stomach virus?" I answered, "Just a long day at work." (I wasn't in the mood to hear that lecture about quitting again.)

Back to the topic. I work under the premise that "THEY PAY ME TO MOW, I TRIM FOR FREE. Customers don't care how I keep it looking neat, just that it's done.
    I do everything possible to eliminate trimming. If I edge a bed it's the deluxe version. I use a bed edger and install bed edging. I use soil sterilant around foundations with pea gravel to cover the mud. I get compliments on how good it looks. Plus it's all billed as "extras".
    Most sterilants aren't approved for residential use and are tricky to use.

I figure they're not paying me so they can watch me sweat. They're paying for a well maintained property.

Sometimes LCO's do get paid for their "performance" on the job. I'm just not that good looking that anybody would want to see that.:laugh:
  2. wegomow

wegomow LawnSite Senior Member

:nono:Even with clearly marked water bottles that is a clear violation in NC. It is never a good idea to put weed killer in drink bottles. Suppose the bottle falls out on the ground and a toddler finds it. He can't read the clearly marked drink bottle. Don't mean to come down on you but it is a bad practice.
  3. wegomow

wegomow LawnSite Senior Member

"Howard Leight" ear protectors/ headphones plugged into iphone and listening pandora radio rocks my day. Allman Brothers, John Lee Hooker and EC are my working stations.
  4. ncnurseryman

ncnurseryman LawnSite Member

Great tips. Really need one of this gate lift assist. I've seen them in the northern tool catalog. Anyone used that one?
  5. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Got a set for my 5 x 14, they work great, and it is a extra long heavy duty gate.
  6. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Made my own gate lift assist. A heavy duty spring, PVC pipe, couple of pulleys, braided wire and some clamps.
  7. bmulvey

bmulvey LawnSite Member
    from cda id

Walk backwards to weed eat. Way faster and if a rock comes up, it hits you not the BMW ;)

Carry a small spray bottle with pre mixed weed killer in a sprayer and hang it on the handlebars of your mower so you can just stop while mowing, grab the bottle, squeeze the trigger and BAM spot treatment on the SPOT:clapping:
  8. M&L

M&L LawnSite Member

I save a little bit of time when I'm using my 21" by using a spring clamp on the throttle lever to empty the bag and move obstacles. Probably save a lot of wear on my engine with not having to restart it so many times as well.

(I know I could save some time by switching to a 36, but we all start some where)
  9. mikeypizano

mikeypizano LawnSite Senior Member

if you had a Honda like I do you don't need to clamp the bails... :laugh:
  10. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

An ice scraper is what us northern guys use to get the ice off of the windshields in the morning..... It's pure coincidence that it is a perfect deck scraper!