LCO vs Building Maintenance guys

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by maelawncare, Jul 23, 2008.

1. maelawncare

maelawncare LawnSite Senior Member

So i have a big contract thats up for renewal next month. And i heard that their big wigs were thinking that their maintenance guys could do it cheaper then we could. It was a full maintenance contract with snow removal. I think it was around $20k for the year. So its a good chunk of change.

Im trying to think of ways that i can put on paper to try and convience them that this would be a bad idea.

Other then the fact that theres no way they can do a better job then us. What do you guys think?
  2. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

actually r city here finally found out it was cheaper faster and got done better if a LC cut the grasses at the police and fire stations we have 3 fire I mean the reason we r such a profitable industry is because of the equipment and the fast pace.
  3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

How long does it take for you to get the mowing done each week?
  4. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

Remind them of fuel prices, workmans comp, insurance, having to pay for holiday's and for sick time, having to buy equipment, up keep
    on the equipment and so on.
  5. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

I figured this was gonna start happening....
  6. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

If they want change, they'll do it. They really don't care about you or the other guy. Reasonable rates, sub-par performance is the name of the game for some of these guys. If they can keep there guy busy with lawn care work, they will.

I lost a mowing/spraying account do to this type of attitude. It is a feed mill plant and there a little slow with grain prices and feeding business so they bought a mower and have there guy do it all. Doesn't look as good but there keeping a good employe busy and probably don't care about the looks as much as I or my crew did.
  7. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

1. You specialize in this, Your company and yourself are trained with the equipment and have the equipment.

2. You have expertise, Problems arise and you know how to fix them.

3. When equipment brakes who are they gonna have fix it, how long could it be. Your again trained and ready for the problems.

4. How much is it going to cost in extra insurance, equipement purchases, employees, etc. It's a big company investment to train, purchase, and maintain the equipment for the grounds.

I could keep going but if you think about it, theres a million reason how its cheaper for you to do it. Just don't mention how much you make, how fast your crew gets the job done. Just watch out for them to back you into a corner for anything, but there is no way it couldn't be that much cheaper.
  8. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

. . . that your are correct

We were at this from the other direction. The contract we had ($60,000/year) with the factory called for building janitorial and outdoor grounds care and snow plowing. The two are incompatible if done by the same staff. IF by building maintenance you also include janitorial. The ridgid schedule required by the janitorial doesn't fit with the weather related flexible schedule of the grounds. Are they going to skip cleaning the toilets because the grass takes too long to mow in the spring or is the grass going to get weedy and unkempt because the toilets have to be cleaned on a tight timetable and they have to let the grass mowing go?

If they are a fairly small factory grounds (under 2 acres) what are they going to do about the mowing? A 'toy' mower that is cost in-effective ( It will take them 3 times as long to mow it as you would) OR a big commercial mower that moves quickly but sits around alot costing and rusting.

Is the lot big enough to be a challenge? Have they ever costed out the running expenses and service required of a plow truck? Or are they working on the principle that any idiot that can drive, can plow? (visit the sister site for the answers to that. What of the salting budget ?

Ask questions, have they thought of the cost of this thing. Have they thought of the cost of that thing.Your guiding principle show them you can do it better, cheaper and faster.If you can't do that , maybe they should do it themselves.
  9. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

If you do your homework by getting as acurate figures as possible for the projected man-hours, projected costs associated with the benefits they will have to payyheir employees, add the annual equipment and maintenance costs, reaction to break-downs, etc. and "arm" yourself with the numbers, I believe you will have a better chance. Knowledge IS POWER!!

Good luck. Nothing wrong with saying a prayer(s) over this situation.