lco with patio lay question

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by lurch, May 9, 2007.

1. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

My expertise lies with cutting lawns not laying a stone patio...

One of my buddies wants me to help him out laying a paver stone extention all around his patio...he has the idea that if he lays sand down then compacts the ground this might work...

anybody have suggestions towards the right way to do this...

pm me if the explantion will take more than a simple post

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

minimum of a 4" aggregate base, then 1" sand then pavers

4. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

so after reading that install guide provided by Grn Mtn i am to compact the soil underneath-filling in any holes along the way. After that i put a level 1" layer of coarse bedding sand down. Then the pavers then put joint sand in the cracks. I know its not going to be quite that easy but is that the gist of what i'm going to have to do?

thanks for the feedback guys (or gals).

5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

its important that when you say your going to compact the soil underneath you are referring to the crusher run layer consisting of 1" down to dust bits of rock.

6. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

ok...you're going to have to break that down into laymans terms...

I'm sorry if i'm being a pain...its just i've never done this sort of stuff and i'd like to do it right...maybe gain some free experience for later on in life...

7. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

What he means is do your excavation. Cleanup the earth base. Compact the earth base. Put your geotextile down. Install stone base material (2 inches at a time) which is called 1 inch minus here. Ask your supplier for road base. Compact that 2 inches. Add 2 more inches and compact that. Compact the base until your ready to scream! You read the compacting specs for the technical specifications? Lay your bedding sand and than pavers. Compact pavers THAN put the joint sand in and campact that. Spend an hour reading search threads and you will have a basic understanding.

8. bishoplandscape

bishoplandscape LawnSite Member

stick to mowing its easyer