1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

LCO's anybody can run one

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, May 4, 2006.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Would you say this is true?

Back in high school I told my buddy to stop smoking the green and start cutting it.

Well today he owns a house, rents a shop, runs stihl, eXmark and Wright, nice truck/trailer too.

I'll admit he isn't the brightest of them and never finished high school, but he is doing well, I'm just kinda surprised how he started everything with no knowledge or experience.

I guess anyone can run and own a LCO.
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Anybody can call themselves an LCO. But how many actually know how to run a business? Doesn't matter if it's a solo op or one with employees, too many i believe have no idea what their actual profit is.
  3. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes anyone can run a successful lawn care operation. My buddy and his brother(pot smoker) run a big lawn care company around here.
  4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Yea i'd say just about anyone, but once you get to a certain point it takes "Some" sort of business sense.

A crackhead can have 30 lawns and and truck & trailer, but you have to know alittle something to get and keep 130 lawns.
  5. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i believe it takes a different person to operate a lawn company that it takes to cut grass . for example there are 20 or so people in my little community that mow lawns and are done by 5 pm but only a handfull of us that actualy dont clock out until 10 pm after doing stacks of paper work .
  6. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Its not rochet science, and good help makes a world of difference.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, I see it everyday the guys walking around their cost / expense / profit / income thing is basically all whatever comes in or goes out of their wallet in their back pocket, no papertrail or nothing, they have an idea but they can't know for sure.

They do the work, cash the check and pay everybody cash then fill up the gas and gee if there's money left, that must be the profit or wait no that is income ok so then spend that and if anything's left then that must be profit?

Either way, one day the IRS may catch them and it's all over but there's so many of them doing it, somedays I half regret ever having gone legit.

As far as anyone doing it, yes and no. Many try and almost as many fail, just wait until July and 104+ heat indexes and you will see the map literally wipes itself clean, you will be one of VERY few trucks out there if you can handle it. Many more are permanent part-timers, there must be thousands who run out and cut a few lawns for some time, however long, just to get a small slice of the pie. It's all good, but to earn a living and to say this is your only form of income, and to be able to keep it up for say 4 or 5 years and your bank account not be slowly but surely draining, that I think takes some doing.
  8. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Not my friend.

He started with nothing at all never pushed a mower.

He is licensed insured and now is starting a fert program and all.

I would say he is doing far better than myself, which is kinda frustrating, since im spending all my $$ on a degree in business. Do I even need it? Its tough to say but all I know is I will probably be mowing the rest of my life.
  9. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

around here anybody does run an lco.

got any new pics?
  10. Cahsking

Cahsking LawnSite Member

South don’t despair. I have a degree in History, and would rather be out cutting, and landscaping from 6 am to 6 pm then paper work till 11, just to see I made $30. It’s the love of the job!!! I don’t wish any bad fortune on any other person(s), because I don’t know that persons financial situation. BefMe is right by saying there is a difference in 'cutting grass' and 'operating a lawn company'.