LCO's checking prices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by budracin, Apr 5, 2004.

1. budracin

budracin LawnSite Member
    from florida

You ever get the feeling after you bid a job and its rejected, knowing it was competitive, maybe even a little cheaper, it was all a set-up. Another LCO just comparing prices, using his buddy to get a quote for him. This is why I stick to my price and walk away if they are not happy.

2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

You just said that you give a quote with it being competitive or maybe cheaper, but then say that is why i stick with my price.

Doesnt make sense

3. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

"maybe even a little cheaper"<---------this statement right here is why the mowing industry sucks!

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I hardly ever get that feeling. I doubt I've given very many estimates to other LCOs or their friends just fishing for prices.

I can usually tell by their phone call that they are another LCO just feeling me out for price. They call me up and ask, "Hi. Ummm. I own a home out in Beaverton off of 185th. and I was just wondering if you could tell me over the phone approximately what you charge per month for lawn mowing and stuff....."

Then if I give them a round-about price they begin asking WAY too many details. like, "Ok. And how many times per month do you edge? Do you fertilize for that price? Is that year-round or seasonal? What kind of mowers do you use?" Etc. I sometimes get one or two of these questions from a homeowner. But not usually over the phone and never 5 questions all at once like that. It's real obvious that it's another LCO on the other end.

Usually I just tell them I don't give out prices over the phone but I'd be happy to give them a free estimate. Now feeling guitly, they usually say, "Oh. Ummmmm. Never mind." And hang up. I just laugh and go on with my day.

5. budracin

budracin LawnSite Member
    from florida

Norm and Trevor by saying "a little cheaper" I am comparing it to other LCO's in my area. I am higher than some others and cheaper than others.
    Jim lewis thanks for the response...you seem to see where I was going with this.

6. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

budracin- I have never had that happen that I know of. I did a competitive bid for an apartment complex and was very tempted to do it cheaper than I normally would because I knew other lco's were bidding on it too, but I gave them a bid with my normal prices, and I ended up getting it. Now that I have it I'm real glad that I bid it with my normal pricing because if I would have bid low I would be stuck in this contract and I wouldn't be making as much as I should be from it.
    I've learned quickly to stick with my price.

7. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

I never give prices over the phone.......If I get a call, I will grill them just as much as they grill me. I can usually tell if they are worth the drive over there or not.......I can also tell if someone is fishin....

I know most of the lco's in the area, so I really dont have that problem, but there are a few just startin out with the garden tractors, that will call to see if you will bite. Like Jim said, you can pretty much tell the difference between the homeowners an the new guys just fishin.....

8. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't know exactly what your asking.. But, if a homeowner calls me and I go to give the quote and they say "thanks, I'll let you know.. Just shopping for the best price", I say my price is not changing.. Take it or leave it, but don't call me expecting that I'll drop $10 off my price to beat the other guy.. Not my style