1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

LCOs that run more than 1 crew

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by StBalor, Mar 5, 2008.

1. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious, if your crew is out and customers neighbor approaches them asking them to cut their yard while they are there, how do you handle that?
    Is your crew leader able to make the decision to cut along with giving them a price? Or do you have your crew just hand them a card and have them call you and you run out, look at the property and give price then have your crew come back?
  2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

For maintenance, yes the foreman will quote prices. It's not worth my time to go there for an estimate when someone is already there.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

99% of the time they will just do and let me know at the end of the day
  4. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

Have your crew mow it at a HIGHER price since its more than likely a one time deal and longer than a normal yard- ie. hasn't been mowed in weeks.

More than likely an extra yard or two could put your crew into overtime hours.
  5. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

We just have them call the office and talk to a salesman "account manager" is what we call them and they take go out there and sell them. I feel as its more of a proffesional way. Plus the sales man can always upsell them on more services.
  6. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

before I went into business for myself I ran a crew for 5 years. I would give the estimate and if they accepted I would accept a check on the spot and then the work would be done.
  7. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

My crews know what the rate structure is for non contractual mowing.
    What they usually do is contact me or my secretary on the direct connect as their routes are timed and any deviation they have to explain.
    The customer is made aware of the additional fee for not having a contract and if the proposal is accepted, the customer must produce payment before the crew starts.
  8. nemow

nemow LawnSite Senior Member

Before I started working for myself, I also ran a crew for 5 or so years. We were always so busy that we would give people a card and tell them to call the owner. We never, well I shouldn't say never we rarely did one time cuts, so if that is what they are looking for they wouldn't call the owner in fear of a higher price than the labor monkeys (us) would give them. Since being on my own I am amazed at how many ful time customers I have picked up by doing onsite on the spot estimates. If the crew hands someone a card and passes the buck I swear the potential cusomer looses the card before they get to their house. I was very close to the owner of the company I worked for and I never new his pricing, didn't really care to. If pricing is something that is common knowledge with your employees or at least forman, I would definitley have the forman doing estimates.