LCO's using 34" z's

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by snowjeep, Jan 23, 2008.

1. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

I was going to upgrade a troybuilt 33" but then thought about a 34"ztr used. Do the guys who have them like them for small back yards? Any problem with rutting? What are the down falls compared with a walk behind?

2. lockhart

lockhart LawnSite Member

only problem with a small mower like that is mowin on slopes....they def. tend to slide alot more than a wider mower.

3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

They will rut if the ground is real saturated (I have not found a mower that wont rut in those conditions). They will not handle sloped at all. Thats about the only downfall to a 34Z. I HIGHLY recommend Gravely 34Z. The machine is OVER built super heavy duty and cuts fantastic in all conditions.

4. capnsac

capnsac LawnSite Senior Member

yup, and I think you could find a new wb at about the same price as a used ztr, plus the functionality of the wb would be similar to that of a ztr at that size.

5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I will take a 34Z over a 36 WB any day of the week. Actually we retired our 36" scag WB when we got the 34Z and never looked back or regreted our decision.

6. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

What he said. Way faster than a WB for me.

7. GrassmasterB

GrassmasterB LawnSite Member
    from Florida

same here. used a toro 36'' wb before buying a 36'' mini z. now the wb is only used in my own backyard to keep it exercised. and its kept as a spare.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You might want to take a look at the Wright Sentar Sport 36" instead of the 34" ZTR. The wright is a smaller profile and less customer concern about using a big machine.

9. TheHammer

TheHammer LawnSite Member

I would get small stander mower.

10. St. Andrew's Lawn Care

St. Andrew's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I went back and forth on this very issue when I was looking to buy a commercial grade mower for my first season...2007. I finally decided that it was worth the extra cost as I have used it almost exclusively on all yards. Had I gone with the 44Z I would not be using it to mow nearly as many backyards with gates...In fact, I have only three backyards with 30" gates so I am forced to use my 21" W/B. It is very maneuverable and loves wide open spaces...flat out flies...Steep inclines are a problem especially when wet but if you mow in an uphill or downhill direction instead of across the length of the incline you will manage.

No complaints from customers about rutting. If you get a complaint, simply say the wider tires are actually better as they disperse the weight instaed of rutting or digginin...

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth...

All the best.

Andrew.