LCO's who operate WITHOUT

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Liquidfast, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

This morning, we head out on our monthly invoice drop off run. At one location, we are greeted with a long face. Long story short....on Jan 13, 2007 an elderly lady slipped and broke her right hip, right shoulder and fractured her right wrist.
    Obviously she is suing us for a substantial amount. From the inception of our biz, I was a huge proponent for insurance. My partner said no way, I went ahead and did it anyway. We carried 2 million and now we have 5 million.

If I decided against it, I can only imagine what the outcome would be.

Just sharing...thats all.
  2. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

so why is she suing you....
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Because if you are contracted for snow removal and ice control, - you are the one retaining responsibility for making sure the walks are completely free and clear of ice and hazardous slippery spots. many people just don't realize the liability involved in this type of stuff.I can't believe the amount of people who go in and plow places without even handling the ice control. All they are doing is putting their name on a liability bomb just waiting to go off.
    Liquids situation is just an unfortunate example of just what CAN happen. I wish all the best to him and hope it all comes out ok.
  4. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Excellent points. This situation has been a blessing for us. I have already contacted 3 of our commercial accounts who are familiar with this location and its owner and have agreed to up their winter monthly payments for the additional coverage. Hopefully, people will realize why we charge so much and put salt down when we do.

I hope the lady get better soon.
  5. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

Her lawyer will see to that.
  6. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

I plow in Ohio. Here, our laws are different. People are expected to understand that slip/falls are a part of Ohio winters. As long as the contractor was not negligent in his duties, we are absolved from responsibility. Did we show up as required by the contract with the business? Did we attempt to provide adequate service to the property?
    Our insurance would probably throw grandma a bone as far as compensation. If they pressed it too far, then the courts would prevail for us.
  7. deapee

deapee LawnSite Member
    from pa

Wow, thanks for the heads up...people are idiots. If I slipped an fell, I don't even think I'd consider suing anyone.
  8. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I remember when if someone slipped and fell they would look around to make sure no one saw them. Now they look around to see if someone saw them so they could be a witness in court.
  9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I am embarrassed as hell if I slip and fall and I get up as quick as I can! Its a tough world we live in with sue crazy people.
  10. Lordtimothy

Lordtimothy LawnSite Member

There is reasons beyond greed to sueing. My brother was between jobs and no insurance, slipped on some ice and ended up with a broken leg and 5k worth of hospital bills. With no work not much for savings there was no other option than to go after the owner. Didn't ask for any more than what the hospital bills ran. They paided and didn't have any problems. The point is if the lady is going to chase some big money that is wrong but maybe the person has no other option than to sue. Anyway lesson is good, have insurance.