1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Grimmy, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Grimmy

Grimmy LawnSite Member

How do other LCO's appear to you when you come across them?
    Do you get a acknowledgement when you see them passing by and you wave when you are doing a job, or even on the road passing by? I give the a hidiee ho, some do, majority do not.
    Or do you get the attitude glance? Just curious. In this part of the country, its the attitude glance. I look at it this way. We are in this together to provide a service for the consumer.
    Possibility of fly by night guys and this sets a bad example?
    Just wnated to throw this out there for discussion.
  2. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

I get a mixed bag,75% of the others I can talk to and give and get waves and smiles----then theres the 25% that give you dirty looks and we even see one that flips the bird on a regular basis,but I just smile and tell my guys to wave and be professional because these are the guys that are intimidated by competition thats all. :)
  3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I get some dirty looks.

One LCO in my town I get along with very well. I see him on a regular basis because his shop is next to the gas station I stop at in the morning for coffee. This morning I talked to him for well over a half hour. Very friendly guy, and he's got a BIG chunk of business in this area. His truck and mine are the only two in town I've seen with prominent logos and stickers on our trucks. MOST of the trucks in this town have no identification of any sort on them. Fly by nighters? I don't know. I don't think all of them are, but I'm sure some are.

Everyone else in this town, dirty looks and gawks. This morning, I got a dirty look from:

A guy in an '88 Olds Cutlass, obviously falling apart, hauling a GD Super Surfer in what appeared to be about a 4x6 trailer:rolleyes:
  4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been doing this for about 17 years...the ones who have been around a while all know eachother and are friendly. Its mostly the immateur kids who just started up that give the attitude..
  5. MO TOYS

MO TOYS LawnSite Member

most of the time they are freindly with me however i get jealous when they pass me with a bigger nicer truck than me lol*trucewhiteflag*
  6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

With your new one, that prolly dosn't happen much.
  7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

they may throw some work your way.... i get alot of questions from them, want to knwo how many accounts i have a such.... i just smile and say, well, not enough yet....
  8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Once and a great while you will get a wave from one of them but not often. I don't understand what the big deal is.:dizzy:
  9. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

i've been doing lc for over 15 years. where i lived before i moved. all of us got along! me and my bestfriend worked for all of them. my friend started his own lc. we ate at the same place. i moved 5 years ago to a small town with only one lc and a guy with a rider mower and bent shaft weedeater (name of the brand). i went to guy with the lc and said i would work for him. he said NO! so i started a lco. know he stops at my new cus. (ones i get from his list but i wait for them to call me) and will tell them i'm a no good son of a mower! making a ass of himself.their a new guy lc he does sub work for me. he will stop over to b.s. i think we should all get along set the market and let the guy who out there get jobs!or who can sell them self to the customer! then the customer can pick who's the best by knowledge, equipment and personality. i carry card of a other lc.
  10. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

I give them all the finger every chance I get.

Just kidding! Everybody around here is pretty friendly with a few exceptions.