lea box

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zim bob the landscaper, Nov 29, 2005.

1. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

what is a good size leaf box is 8'W*8'L*5'H good or is it to small im going to get a dump trailer in the spring and im going to make a box and just trying to get info on them
    Thanks

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

it all depends on the capacities of your trailer. I doubt you'll want something 8' wide either. (no visibility)

3. zim bob the landscaper

we are thinking of an 8*14 or 8*16 dump trailer so so the back will be for equipment and the front will be the leaf box with the leaf loader on the front of the trailer but i didnt think of visibilty thanks for mentioning that

4. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

That would be just like towing an enclosed trailer if its as wide as the trailer is.

8x8x5 gives you 11.8 cu yards (someone correct me if I'm wrong). My truck had a 8 cu yard box on it and it would get 2 cleanups only. Personally I would go 8x8x8 or higher if your going to do it. You'd be probably well under 12 foot with the box on the trailer so you wouldn't have to worry about height and you'd be able to get that little extra worth of leaves. the 8x8x8 would give almost 19 yards compacity. As long as the trailer could hold it, that would be great.

That was the worst thing this year, not able to carry enough leaves, luckily all my jobs were close to where I dump so dumping didn't wast "too" much time.

5. BSDeality

what are you planning on pulling this monsterous dump trailer with @ 13 years old? 8x14/16 is going to weigh 3-4K lbs by itself.

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

His dad is pulling it with their Chevy 2500HD. He, his brother and dad work together.

7. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Why not just use 4x4 sheets of 1/2 plywood and 2x3 or 2x4 bracing to frame it in. If you make it too big and tall the weight along is going to be a real PITA to get it loaded and unloaded, not to mention its gonna be weaker the taller you make it.

8. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Thats why you spend the extra money and go with a tarp style box. No i dont mean a 5 dollar tarp, the profession stitched tarp like a semi uses on the flatbeds and scrap haulers.

The company I used to work for was the first one to do this in my area and it was a great idea. It would take us 5 mins to install it on the truck every year, it was light, didnt have to mess with assembling or buying new wood each year or two.

9. zim bob the landscaper

would a dump truck canvas work my dad drive a ten wheele dump truck and can take the old canvases and they are in good shape most of the time

10. BSDeality

a loaded 8x16 cannot safely pulled witha 3/4 ton truck! Definitely not in the fashion you are intending.

I would definitely have a diesel, dually preferably. because if you plan on only loading the front 2/3 of the trailer with leaves and putting equipment in the back (blowers?) you are going to be draggin the trucks ass and trailers nose on the ground. you will then have to remove all equipment to dump it.