Leach Field Groundcover

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMonster, Aug 6, 2004.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I have this post in lawn care forum in the hopes of many views and replies. Hopefully moderators will leave it here:D

Obviously, grass is the standard choice for leach field groundcover. Recently, I've had two requests to provide, or at least suggest some different options for covering a leach field.

anybody ever do anything differently? Stone, mulch, perennial groundcover? Of course, we wouldn't want something to root to deeply, so I'm just looking for some thoughts and ideas.

Thanks

2. GreenMonster

from NH

bump.

any ideas appreciated.

thanks.

3. Mark Lawncare

Mark Lawncare LawnSite Member

I'd like some ideas to. Also what do you do with the side of a leach feild that is two steep for grass?

4. GreenMonster

from NH

well, this died the first time around. I hoping maybe someone will have an idea if I bump it back to the top.

What about a perennial garden on a leech field. Shallow rooting system unlikely to cause damage..... thoughts?

5. Mark Lawncare

Mark Lawncare LawnSite Member

I'd like to hear some thoughts on this as well. Thanks for any info.

6. IMPACT

IMPACT LawnSite Member

We have done 2B riverstone and perennials hydroseeded onto the fields and on curtain drains as well. I have even had requests for crushed brick to match their red dye mulch..yuck...

7. GreenMonster

from NH

you're saying keep the mulch off the leech field because of water retention, right?

No problems with root systems of perennials?