Lead free backflows?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ArTurf, May 3, 2014.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

I just priced a 1" RP and all they had were lead free which was $500. The previous version was about half. Does anyone know if they all will be required to be lead free at some point? This was at a plumbing and not an irrigation store.
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Shop around. You will pay more. Be careful of online bargains that will be for the old lead-containing brass items.

The point of lead-free requirements are already upon us, by way of federal law.

However, the old inventories can be used on existing system plumbing.
  3. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

We just switched to all lead free brass from new codes this year. I think you will have to check with your local codes

I ve been using up all the old stuff
  4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, but the million dollar question is, are the requirements for potable water use (direct human use/consumption) only, or for all uses. For example, what would be the point in putting a lead free RPZA on any non-potable use (irrigation), or say, on non-potable water sources (grey water)?
  5. Wet_Boots

Never had a grey-water application. Don't even know if codes are written for them.

I just hope the new alloys don't have any of the problems (like de-zincification) some of the cheap yellow brass fittings have had.
  6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

May 3, 2014. A day that will live in infamy.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Wet_Boots

No grey water up here. Just tasty potable water. And since plumbing codes are a subset of building codes, there isn't any grey-water piping in any occupied building around here to connect to.