1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

leading edge of spray making a line

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by xdallairex, May 10, 2008.

1. xdallairex

xdallairex LawnSite Member

Hey guys quick Q
    My spray pattern is leaving a line on the top and bottom.
    it seems to be concentrated at the outer edge top and bottom?
    Any hints?
  2. Coater

Coater LawnSite Member
    from MI.

Usaly means the tip is wearing out. What are you spraying ?
  3. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Check the tips, and play around with different ones. Also play around with the pressure too.
  4. SurfaceMax

SurfaceMax LawnSite Member
    from TX

It is normal for a steel spray tip to leave a bit heavier of a "line' at the top & bottom of the fan.
    Steel tips all do this to some degree. You might increase your pressure a bit but the practice of always being careful to overlap passes (like a painter does) will solve the problem. When it gets too bad the tip is worn out.
    If it bothers you a lot use the USA ceramic tips. They are 5x as high but leave a beautiful and perfect spray pattern.
  5. seal4cash

seal4cash LawnSite Member
    from ontario

There could be several reasons for this
    1) The material is too thick due to colder temperature
    2)the pressure is too low
    3)you are using incorrect/worn out tip....i spray oil based sealant (gilsonite) and the best tips to get are the cheap plastic tele-jets at the tractor store...no need to spend your money on the high end brass or stainless steel....if it gives you hard time, just toss it and put in a new one and youre back spraying in no time....
  6. SurfaceMax

from TX

The above post would ONLY be correct if using a Gilsonite based sealer like the poster above. It's a very thin/water-like sealer that sprays totally different than regular sealer and only 1 coat sprayed thin...if not the high naphtha content can damage the pavement. No longer legal in 13 northeastern states (environmental reasons) although word has it some places are still selling it in areas where enforcement of the law is lax.
  7. seal4cash

seal4cash LawnSite Member
    from ontario

Rumour has it, that it has been banned here too, but there is no way to confirm it for sure...once i had nothing better to do, so i decided to get to the bottom of this...after spending about 5 hrs on the phone with different government agencies and bi-law officers, i'm exactly in the same spot like when i started...no one has a clue.
    Besides....this is the same stuff the roofers around here use.....also the house foundations get sprayed by this exact product, so i'm thinking, if it were really banned, those guys would be out of buisness....
    As far as i'm concerned, i will just keep spraying ,until someone from the bi-law enforcement tells me otherwise.....
  8. SurfaceMax

from TX

As a word of disclaimer I do sell a product that works with another type of sealer but that doesn't influence this reply;

The thing to search for like on Google is the "Ozone Transport Commission" to see if you are in one of the states. That's where the "law" comes from (what they call the OTC).
    However from what I have heard from some of my customers is that in some states it's a "who's on first"? kind of deal. Since it's a environmental law who enforces it?
    In one state a fellow told me the regular police were "on it" and they would write you up if you were caught hauling it, applying, it or even just possessing it so it was gone.

But a fellow in another state (adjacent) said that where he was nobody had figured out who was supposed to enforce it; the state police? the state office that's over environmental stuff? the local officials? etc. so where he was people were still selling and using it since everybody at "the state" (don't know who he called) said there was a regulation against it but nobody knew who was supposed to enforce it. Typical government snafu :dizzy: