leads who dont fit your profile or sales process

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Efficiency, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Efficiency

Efficiency LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 6

Had a couple people get upset when I tell them we wont come 'look at their dead grass' to tell them what to do and what it costs. They didnt understand if we cant bid it from the office we dont care for their work. We are only looking for the creme and need to keep the velocity in our sales pipeline. Just wondering what lines you use or how you tell leads who dont fit your client profile (less than 4 apps/yr) or your sales process(close on the phone, first or second contact) to politely call someone else?

2. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

Tell them straight forward: " you don't fit our client profile" or " "we only do contracts/4app services"...
    I have only accepted contract accounts for 2 years running and I only accept High quality accounts that fit in the "high-end" market I cater to. No issues thus far. Steady growth in a positive direction.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i just tell them i cant help them
    i am not here to be there friend and tell them how to fix there lawn with depot seed lol

4. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

Bid super high...then say, yep!

If 4 apps is the required minimum for your program to be successful. It should be easily explained and excepted. All successful programs require a minimum of certain elements for success.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have any friends in the industry who will service this account?
    We will shovel accounts around to feed each other.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I think one can tell pretty quick when people only care about price or when they r looking for free advice.

We cut them short pretty fast.

We r not consultants...we r lawncare professionals.

I am careful to give out too much info on the phone.

We too like to close on the phone. Now for seedings that is almost impossible to do as every lawn is different.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

I say an estimate is free, a consultation or me telling them how to do it is $150 per hour!

8. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

also its the whole program or no program

9. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

works for us....

Also, where is your marketing directed? It took as couple of years to "find" the targeted marketing techniques around here, but when we found what worked for us it took out 70% of "unwanted" right off the bat. Hate to sound discriminating, but depends on where and how you spend your advertising $$$$ what type of calls you will get.

10. Efficiency

Efficiency LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 6

Rod, you are right. Can certainly feel the tire kickers. However, like you said, its the good leads that want a seeding quote for example. Or cant decide between aeration/overseeding or slice seeding and need our input. In those circumstances, Im half temped to send them to TG or Scotts. We cover such a large area that we cant pass leads on to quality competitors because Im not sure and dont really care either who those others are.

Im going to re-implement out $35 estimate from this spring.

Im fairly sure we have marketing figured out. 153% growth this YTD. Its not that we are getting low quality leads at all. Its just that some are trying to change our sales system/process to include a personal visit and those are the ones who have the lower quality experience. I guess I just need to be a bit more direct and keep this from happening.