Leaf advertising, my methods

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by kc2006, Sep 1, 2005.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Well I'm getting ready to do leaf advertising, I'm thinking mid september is when i'll start advertising as the leaves are still green, weather is still kinda warm. Heres the plan

Going to talk with a small local paper today, it goes out to 4 towns that are very close together that I service, I want a smaller add put in for the 2 weeks of september then go to a larger add for all of october. I talked to them in the spring and they seemed pricey, but I'm going to schedule an apointment with them to sit down and get actual prices and sizes of adds.

I'm also having my brother paint the leaf box on the truck, I want it to look "classy" if you would call it that and have the logo with the phone number and a list of jobs we do, Leaf Removal, Fall Clean-up, Weekly Mowing, Spring Clean-up, Plowing...just the basics really. I already have signs on the truck all the time but i want the leaf box to advertise mainly for right now. I've seen too many nice brand new dump trucks with massive leaf boxes that are painted and look like a 5 year old scribbled it on, and I don't want that, I want it to look pretty nice and appealing. he's an artist so I'm sure i'll hear about how this color will attract more and that color is more pleasing :dizzy:

Finally, I was thinking about what I saw someone else do (reading old posts got me thinking. A guy put 8.5"x11" "signs" (pieces of paper in some sort of bag almost like laminated basicly) on every freakin telephone pole around here last year. I remember seeing this, and after a couple weeks i actually memorized his number just from seeing them everywhere! Well the signs are still up to this day. I'm thinking about doing this, using a color paper and making a nicer looking flyer and have them laminated so they're glossy to get your attention and stand up to the rain and put them out there on the telephone poles.

Has anyone ever done that with the telephone poles? I see the "work at home" ones on there all the time plus that guys are still there, so it must be legal. I'm pretty tall so I can put them about 6-7 feet up so kids cant rip them down but still low enough to get your attention. Just wanted some feedback on that.

Thanks guys

2. kc2006

No one has suggestions on the signs on telephone poles? any suggestions at all???

3. RoseCity

RoseCity LawnSite Member

Hi there!
    I am just getting started in my business and on this site for that matter, but I thought I would reply to your posting. I think that is a great idea to put up signs like that on telephone poles. It's free advertising after all, so why not! I wonder what the cost to have lamination done would be? Have you also considered making a door hanger specifically for "leaf-removal"? Maybe that could generate some new customers that might sign on "full-time" too! Anyway, great idea!!!

4. kc2006

At the moment the main thing is, is it legal to do the signs. I'm researching that. I did a search and it seems most on the site here think its unprofessional to put signs on telephone poles, but I believe a nice professiona looking flyer wouldn't look bad.

As for door hangers, the problem is getting them out, I did 1000 door hangers earier this year and it took a friend and i 4 days to pass them out (each afternoon after work). Don't have the time for that. I'm trying to find a company that passes them out individually, I sent 5000 out this spring with poor results, I believe it was because they got lost in the bags with the other advertisments. If i can find a place that will pass them out with less sharing advertisments that would work.

5. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

In my town it is a violation to place anything on the telephone pole, results in a 100 dollar fine, and i don't think that they will have any problem tracking you down. Good Luck

6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>
    Hi kc2006,

If you want to try the telephone pole idea. I would consider that it is illegal in most areas. The nails used to affix these signs can tear the insulated boots of the utility company employees, which is a hazard for them.

<table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Free Marketing Secrets.</center>

7. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to mention they would be on there with for sale signs, garage sale signs, lost and found signs, etc..

I never look at telephone poles and probably wouldn't unless something was by itself and really caught my attention..

8. thes

thes LawnSite Member

Put the laminated signs onto stakes and stake them at the side of the road...in the dirt so that they're not in the way of mowing.

just an idea... :cool2:

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

A sign, any sign whatsoever, even the cheapest ad with only one word will gather you a TON of attention, the word is 'leaves' if you even so much as hint that you MIGHT be interested, your phone really should ring itself off the hook.