Leaf Blower By-law

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pristine PM, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Pristine PM

Pristine PM LawnSite Member

Hi guys, today the city of Toronto voted not to go forward with any type of by-law that would make using leaf blowers illegal.

Has this ever come up in your city?

What are the other options? Vacuum?

Did you go to your clients and explain the situation and change the contract?

I don't think this will ever happen in Toronto now, but I am curious what has been done in case they ever decide to go this route again.

Thanks,

Jon

2. Pristine PM

3. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

my blower has a sticker on it that says not to be sold in California

4. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

"no financial implications from the adoption of this report" hmmmm really?

5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

The issue came up about ten years ago here in my town. I remember going to the meeting at town hall, there were about 20 landscapers there, and one or two wackos who were trying to get them banned. The compromise was pretty good, 8-7 Monday to Friday, and 9-5 on the weekends. We can live with that.

6. landscape guy

landscape guy LawnSite Member

:canadaflag: when i sent my contracts out a couple of weeks ago we put a note stating if the bylaw went through we would bill the client any extra cleanup time, and to call their councilor about it.:usflag: :waving:

7. Pristine PM

How did your clients take that? We really only do townhomes, and I would love to go to the manager and say.. hey, going to be an extra $3000 in labour for the properties that we do for you."

8. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Didn't even know about it. Although I'm not technically in Toronto, Oakville and Burlington and likely to adopt any policies that Toronto pass. Id go nuts without my blowers!

Jeff

9. Pristine PM

Yeah, I only heard about it today, before the vote, and then after the vote failed. I guess they didn't want a bunch of lawn cutters showing up at the meeting.
    ha

10. Pristine PM

I was just reading today that we actually do have a bylaw against blowers, but it is one that I cannot see anyone wanting to break anyway, and you think that the normal noise bylaws would be enough. We have hours as well, from 9 pm to 7 am you cannot start a blower on weekdays, from 7pm to 9am on the weekends.