1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Leaf Blower Idea

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Remsen1, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had an idea for a leaf blower, maybe i'm not the first, but I wanted to know what you guys thought of it.

I have an Old John Deere 112, that is basically sitting around collecting dust, but it runs fine. My idea was to convert it to a leaf blower or to build a leaf blower attachment for it. Run the blower using a belt powered by the tractor's PTO pully. I'm sure it has enough power, and these tractors are very sturdy, and they have a great crawler gear. Another part of my idea was to have a flexible hose that could be controlled by the driver to direct the air in the desireable direction. My expectation would be a blower with more power than a typical walk behind, that is easier to move from point A to B to C, but more cumbersome when a quick change in direction is needed.

My questions: Does anybody have such a beast or used anything similar? How would it work? Is this just stupid? Set me straight.
  2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

You would be better off selling the 112 than trying to modify it. There would be a lot of guys from www.weekendfreedommachines.org after you for cutting up a John Deere 112. Sell it and buy a push blower. The pto only gives about 8 hp. The other 4 hp is for moving the tractor. So the performance would suck. I wouldn't bother trying it. I have also thought about doing this.

By the way do you have a year for this machine? It is at least 29 years old. I don't have a 112 in my collection of JD. I might be interested in buying it.
  3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I'm also thinking of the same thing for my '93 Wheel Horse 520H. It's a hydro (quick foward/reverse and variable speed) and has a 20hp Onan engine (gobs of power). Just looking for a blower...
  4. Remsen1

I'm gonna have to check the serial number to be sure what year it really is. It's been in the family since the early 80's. Motor's been rebuilt a couple times. It's white with a yellow hood and seat (I've never seen another exactly like it). My father said that there was something significant about the "colored" models as far as being somewhat collectible. "Colored" meaning not the standard yellow on green. But I haven't seen much to really support that.

I'm looking at model info and I'm thinking that this tractor could be between '68 and '72 cause it has manualy lift (pre '72) and a cushioned seat and one piece fender and foot rest (post '68).

I'll check the serial number. I would be interested in possibly selling it. I'll take some pictures.
  5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

The "colored" models were called "Patio series tractors" and were sold specifically to people who wanted colors other than green (believe it or not!). They are supposedly more collectable but I do not know how much more than a regular 112. Advertise on the Weekend Freedom machines site, I'm sure you'll have no trouble selling it. Don't cut it up!
  6. Remsen1

Mine looks like this ('cept mine is rusty). I'm rethinking the whole idea.

7. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Speaking of leaf pickup work, does anyone have experience with the Trac Vac equipment listed at www.trac-vac.com?

The model 452 might fit on my John Deere L110 tractor, and I've been wondering about putting that thing to use this winter. Any comments?
  8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I will take it. I don't have a patio model. A patio would make it a 1969, 1970, or 1971 Cutting up a patio is grounds for getting shot while deere hunting. (lol deere hunting for JD, a game we play on WFM.org) They are hard to find, but not worth to much more than the green ones. Alot of them were painted green so the dealer could sell them. So sometimes you end up with a green one that is really white.

Now if it had an orange hood and seat. Than your in the money. Since they are the most rare. The yellow and blue are the most common. Again it all depends on the condition, options and attachments. The big thing is the hood and seat. If ethier are cracked or ripped or replaced that forget about getting much money.
  9. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM LawnSite Member

I made this one a truck loader...

10. lawnmedic1

lawnmedic1 LawnSite Member

Check into a Steiner. It has any type of attachment you could ever want...Chuck