Leaf blower, lot more useful than just blowing leafs

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by yungman, Jan 3, 2008.

1. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I bought a Shindaiwa EB3410 blower right before the leafs start shetting, I put it to good use. Now I discover I can use it for drying my car and windows after washing so I don't have to hand wipe or let it dry and leave water stain.

I also use it to blow my garage floor also. The garage get very dusty all the time. Open the garage door, close the door to the house, wear a mask and start blowing from the back and move forward out the driveway. It work very well, Garage is full of stuff, moving all the stuff aside and sweep take a lot of time, I just blow all the dust out to the drive way in less than 5 minutes. Now this become a year round equipment instead of seasonal.

For people out there like me, treating these stuff more like toys than tools, sure give you a good reason to tell your wife you need a very good one!!!! Instead of a cheapy Craftsman, I got myself a Shindaiwa. Only regret is I did not get a stronger back pack instead.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

2. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Bought a big Stihl BR600 to replace my old Stihl hand held. I'm glad I kept the handheld cause in my garage workshop the backpack is too clumsy to get around with. I sometimes wish the handheld had half the power of the backpack. One thing I find that helps is to set a large floor fan a few feet inside the open door blowing out, then use the leaf blower to blow sawdust, cobwebs, ect toward the fan or it's exhaust and I can get more stuff out quicker.

3. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Great ideas guys. Thanks for sharing. When did you buy your Shindy yungman?

4. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

I have found that my blower gets used year round as well. I blow out the garage and blow off the driveway, front porch and walkway almost weekly. My br320 gets a workout and will soon be replaced with a br600.

5. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Hi
    I bought it late October last year. I am glad to hear other people find the blower useful. A lot of home owner buy mower and trimmer, very seldom buy a blower. That is same reason when I want to buy the blower, my wife question whether it is worth spending the money fo something only use for 2 months out of a year. Actually the blower give the final touch to the lawn. When you mower and trim, you leave loose ends behind. It looks unprofessional until you blow those away.

Very few tools can be multi-purpose. This is one of the very few. The other tool I found very useful is the rubber mallet!!!, the one for body work!!!, It is so useful we even have a his and her's!!! My wife use it for crushing nuts and other stuff for cooking, we keep a clean one in the kitchen. It can do any job that require a heavy hammer but with leaving any damaging marks on the surface.

Hi jkingrph
    Good idea to put a floor fan while blowing in the garage to help blow the dust out while using the blower to whip up all the dust. I'll try that next time!!

Thanks

6. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Funny, I use my blower for all the same stuff. Ever since I got my cyclone rake, my leaf blower is used for everything but leaves..I am acctually looking for a new blower, I think I am going to get a Sthil back pack next month, with the tax return..I have the Troybilt Tb25bp and it has been great, not a problem in two years, but I want more power :)

7. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

you should see one shoot a roll of toilet paper into a tree......

8. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

Don't forget how handy they are with "light" snow also..... not that you california guys will get to try that one out....

There's also:
    blowing out the gutters, clearing off the roof, drowing out the neighbors/wife...

9. Fert33

Fert33 LawnSite Member

yeah, here in pa we use them for as much snow as possible. That is, when we have snow. 60 degrees today and getting warmer tomarrow.

10. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Not all of California is warm. Some parts of Cali measure snow in feet