Leaf Blower suggestions???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walds11, Jan 16, 2006.

1. walds11

walds11 LawnSite Member

I have almost a 1/2 acre property and I am looking to buy a gas blower. I currently use a Toro electric blower which is pretty powerful, but a pain to use with the power cord. My property does not get hammered with leaves, but a good amount drops. Plus I have a lot of hedges/bushed/shrubs around the house that the leaves get caught in. My township requires the leaves to be put in leaf bags for pick up, so you could imagine how much of pain that is.

I was thinking of buying a gas blower/vac combo. I thought the vac part would be good to pick up leaves in the bushes and corners, etc, but I heard the vacs don't work well and if they do, not consistently. I was also looking at a backpack blower. I would like to keep it in the $100-$200 range max. What about the Homelite Backpacker blower or the Echo brands Home Depot carries? Any suggestions?

2. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

First things first welcome to LawnSite. Second you want to stay away from HD for equipment. I see you are currently working with a small budget but could you maybe add a few more $$$? If you can add a little bit more money to your budget I suggest checking out your local power equipment dealer. As far as brands the top machines are Red Max,Shindaiwa & Echo. But again your budget comes into play. Most all blowers from those 3 that are commercial grade start at about $500.00 although some are less. If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask and you can also use the search feature on this site.

Rob

3. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Echo PB200 would work fine for a homeowner, its not like he is going to use it 30 hours a week.

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Echo pb2100, $200. ive got one, i like it alot!

5. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

is honda gear priced well in the usa?

it is very reliable, 4 stroke, no mixing of fuel, quieter.....

just another option to consider...

6. Lazer_Z

from NJ

Point taken. I just thought he would be like most home owners who want to be like the "pro's". Anyway try looking at Stihl- BR340,BR380D,BR420D
    ECHO-PB 403,PB410,PB46LN Quiet1,PB610,PB620
    Red Max-EBZ5000,EBZ5000Q,EBZ4401
    Just some machines for you to possibly look at.

Rob

7. Lazer_Z

from NJ

Tony, I my self have never priced the Honda machines but heard the are quite expensive and heavy. I did'nt know they made a blower I only knew of the trimmers & edgers.

Rob

8. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Echo all the way , you will be happy you did it!!!payup

9. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

G'Day Rob,

yes mate, honda make blowers, hedge trimmers, trimmers etc. don't think they do back pack blowers though, not sure.

My next blower will be a honda!:drinkup:

I will admit, my honda trimmer is heavy, not sure how it compares to others, but I would imagine it would outweigh 2 strokes easy....:confused:

hondas down here are similar in price to the 2 strokes, but I don't buy gear by price, I buy for durability, I like the thing to work year in year out, not into replacing gear every year or two.payup

honda stuff is popular in oztralia, motor bikes through to lawnie gear, we all must hate mixing fuel down here lol.

but I will admit, major brands like stihl, shinny etc last a long time and work hard, I guess it is between domestic junk and commercial gear at the end of the day, like how much it will be used to justify the price difference.payup

10. Lazer_Z

from NJ

With ya 100% on those in bold Tony. Thats why I do a ton of research on every piece of equipment that I'm going to buy because time is payup and if a machine is is down then my time is down and I'm not making any payup .

I'll give you an example I am going to buy 2 new trimmers & a new back pack in spring and I've already decide that they are going to be Redmax. And the reason is because of the dealer(s) #1 dealer is also my Stihl dealer #2 dealer deals in Shindy,Echo & Redmax. I'm most likely going to end up at dealer #1 for the simple reason that I get treated like I exist and I know I can get a discount buying more than one machine.

Rob